Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
need advise

After my tank cycled I bought 1 firefish and 1 skunk shrimp.About 6 weeks later I bought 2 clowns. Everything was great! On 2/19 I added a dottyback. (sorry,don't have quarentine tank) Afew days later the dottyback showed signs of ick. A few days later my clowns were looking the same.The dottyback died on the 8th day in the tank. My lfs said I could bring the clowns and put in his copper tank. Before I had a chance to do that 1 died on 3/5 and the other on 3/10. The firefish never has showed signs of ick. The firefish and shrimp stay together alot. Do you think the shrimp is keeping the firefish free of the ick parasite? Do firefish not get ick? If it never shows signs,could I add more fish in 6 weeks? Thanks in advance.

stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
a skunk is a cleaner shrimp it will keep the ich off of a fish if the fish will let it on it to clean. I keep skunk cleaners and a neon goby just for that reason I had ich in my display tank a few months ago and put them in to help and I have not seen any signs of ich on any of my tangs or other fish scince.

sw-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
IMO Ick is a sign of stressed fish.
If you wake up breathing CONGRATULATIONS!!! You get another chance to do it right.
Bang Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
A few weeks ago when my tank had ich, I put a neon goby in there to help out together with a couple of cleaner shrimps. A few days later, the neon goby had ich also and has die a couple days ago.

When my fishes are ready to go back to the main tank from QT, I'll put another neon goby back in there. It is so fun to watch him clean my tang.
kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think the only real way to rid a tank of ich, is to keep it fishless for no less than about 4 weeks. The parisites will have no hosts and will die off.
two11devan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com