Need an Ich cure ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I do not have the option of a QT tank. It's a 40 gallon tank. I've added a flame angel recently, waited about a week, then today, I added a pair of Maroon Goldflake clowns. I just saw the flame angel and he def has ich now. There are also two lubock fairy wrasses and a fridmani dottyback. At least one of the wrasse's has one or two spots on him now. I have a product called Ich-X that Ive started to use, but it says I need to do water changes in between doses. I can't get to the fish store for water until, monday.

Garlic Extreem has worked for me. Put it on their food and in the water per the instructions. I do a water change when i can smell it. About two or three days. It won't cure it but will boost the fishes immune system. Allowing them to fight the ich. I keep a bottle on hand at all times. if i see any fish flash i put on the food. I haven't had a outbreak in five years.

My lfs recommended the same thing. My flame angel is dead as of this morning. As of right now, there are no other fish with "signs" except for the occasion "flash". I have been aggressively treating with Ich-X and have been doing a water change per day (well only since yesterday). I also bought a good UV sterilizer today and hooked it up, so I hope that will help. I know you are supposed turn UV's off when using any type of treatment, but I'm going to take my chances.

The uv will only kill any free floating ich not whats on the fish. Get yourself some cupramine by seachem it works great and it is not as harsh a form of copper as most. Copper and hyposalinity are the only sure fire cures for ich. Don't mess around with any of those reef safe cure they don't work. Unfortunately you need to do these two methods in a qt not in the main tank because copper will kill any corals or inverts. Good luck. PS get yourself a qt or you will be going through this all the time and losing fish along the way.

You can try a product called Kick-Ich made by Ruby Reef. I had a royal gramma with a bad case of Ich and my coris wrasse was flashing. Unfortunately the gramma was too bad off to survive but after the treatment my wrasse stpped flashing and no other fish got sick and its been gone for 3 months now. I would give it a try. No harm to my inverts.

I'm using the kick ich now in my moms 20 reef.. Ive also used before..only side effect ive seen is some of the corals get po'd.... Other than that.. Heard some say its junk but if it works..who cares...;)

The thing to understand is that the only proven cures for Ich are copper and Hyposalinity. The rest "treats" and/or supposedly strengthens the immune system. Big bucks have gone into research, so this is all based on science, not "it worked for me" stories. If you do nothing to cure it, its still in your tank. Some fish can be strong enough to fight it off (pristine water conditions and keeping fish well-fed helps) which is why some people believe that their Ich magically disappeared. That can work in a stocked and well maintained tank, but it carries risks when you are still adding fish.

Sometimes people think the Ich is gone because they do not see the spots anymore. What really happened is that it dropped off their fish as part of its life cycle. Its still in the tank and can reproduce and live in/on a host fish. You can not always see it. People add a new fish, it comes down with Ich and they believe it was the new fish that had it, but is more likely that it caught it in its new environment.

Go with the cupramine from Seachem, it works!!!! The other S$#% dont!!! Just remove your coral, inverts and as much live rock as you can and keep away for a minimum of 10 weeks befor putting back into your main tank

Back
Top Bottom