Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

need good advise

ihave been told that tangs should be in 75gal. minimum but i have 3 in a 60gal. i recently added a powder blue tang, and a couple of days ago it started getting ich what should i do? all other fish are fine. i have been useing ich attack to try to get rid of it. thinkin bout bringing the powder blue back and just sticking with my yellow and sailfin. just lookin for a lil help

Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ok this is going to be a two part answer. 1) Those ick medications dont work. You`ll need to QT your fish and treat with hyposalinity. Here are some good articles to read

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

2) the second part is that you need to get rid of two of the tangs. three tangs in a 60 gallon tank was a very bad idea. Tangs are very suseptable to ich and three of them crowded together in a 60 just complicated things. Now they`ll have to spend 60 days in a QT to be treated with hypo and the main fishless for the same amount of time. I hope things work out

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #3

thanks for tha advise. does it matter which one i take out? i would like to keep either my sailfin or yellow. i have a 30g tank set up with only inverts and a green spotted goby should i put my other fish in that tank?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Yellow is going to be your better choice for a ' smaller ' tank

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #5

sweet now next prob. can i kill the fish if i chase them too long or stress out my other fish in tryin to catch the powder blue
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wait til nightime and turn the daylight lights on at around 2AM when the fish are asleep, and grab the powder blue while hes knocked out from the light.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Yeah, sorry if i sounded harsh before, i didnt mean it at all. And all the advice you just got is all extremely good advice. I would suggest doing some of the things said above, this way you AND the fish will live happy lives See what happens when you make your own thread!? Alot more people reply! Thats all i was trying to say.. sorry

Also, im kindof confused about one thing.. the 75G sump. Why wouldnt just make the 75G your main tank, this way you CAN have the tangs! And then just make the 60G your sump. idk, just wondering.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola reef View Post
sweet now next prob. can i kill the fish if i chase them too long or stress out my other fish in tryin to catch the powder blue
You'll probably stress them out a great deal, but no worse than they are. They have little chance of surviving the ich with no treatment in crowded conditions in the main tank. Its best to try and get them out, put them in a QT ( seperate if possible) and treat them with hyposalinity or copper ( please reasearch whatever method you choose)

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #9

no harm done Zer0. sorry my sump is only 30g. does it matter if i have a moonlight on the tank? should i turn it off as well or does it make a diff. man these things are very fast. i can catch the sailfin no prob but the pbt keeps hiding behind my rocks aaaaarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
is back to save the day!

Oh ok, i thought you said you had a 75G sump.

Anyways, yeah tangs are extremely good swimmers, hence the bigger tanks they need. Im pretty sure the moonlights wont affect it. As soon as those main lights go out, they will start to calm down. Although, if they dont.. then theres really no harm in shutting off the monlights to see if that works right?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com