Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need help...

So I just came home to work on the placement of my new power heads and found all my fish dead. The corals seem to be okay but one of my striped damsels was laying dead in the bottom corner and my clown was in the top back corner wedged between the glass and the skimmer pump and I can't find the other damsel.

I check my pH, salinity, trates, trites, and ammonia and everything shows up at 0, 8.1, and 1.026. I even tested for copper and it's at 0/0.1. Kh was at 10 drops 179 ppm. temp is steady at 79.

The things that have changed recently was adding new rock on Saturday and installing the new pumps on Wednesday. I also changed food to new life spectrum. I was dosing the tank since sunday with 2 tsp of Kent marine purple tech to try to speed up growth on the new rock. My wife and I are very upset and frustrated. You guys have any ideas? Could this have been the new flow, is it too much? The tank is 55 gallons, it has a remora pro skimmer, a hang on back mechanical filter and 2 Hydor 1050s, 70 lbs of sand and about 55 lbs of rock.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry about your fish. :-(

Too much flow won't kill fish though. The only thing I can think of is the new rock. Was it base rock or live rock? Where did it come from and did it cause an ammonia spike after it went in?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The rock came from a guy who tore down his tank a week prior. The rocks were sitting in buckets of water from his tank for about a week with no flow. I brought them home put them in new salt water to let them soak for a day. If there was a spike could it have come and gone since adding the rocks on Saturday because according to my test there is no ammonia or nitrate
Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would have thought you'd get some die off from the rock then. What type of test are you using? The api liquid one?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah it's the API liquid test with the ph nitrate nitrite and ammonia
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is there a better test kit I should get? I'm gonna take a water sample to my LFS to have them check my water. If everything shows up at 0 like it did last night, do you think its okay for me to add maybe 5 chromis
Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My first vote is on the new rock as well. I'd also wonder if there was anything sprayed around the tank that might cause an issue. Has your skimmer spiked in producing skimate?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually the skimmer has been producing less. I had to lower the skim cup about an inch last night for the tray to get hit by the bubbles
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most likely could be the rock. A ammonia spike can come and go fairly quick. My freshwater had a ammonia spike one day and later that night it was gone.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to sick fish forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com