Need Help for my Hairy Mushrooms!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnd4g

Aquarium Advice Regular
I could sure use some advice on whats happening with my Hairy Mushrooms! I've had a five inch long piece of rock with several Hairy Mushrooms on it in my tank for a few weeks. They looked great..... very full and gently moving with the water movement. They were so full, the rock was barely visable. Then three days ago they started shrinking.... first just one, then a couple more. Now there are only four left and I don't want to loose them too. All water parameters have been OK, today's readings are SG=1.022, ph=8.0, alk=normal range, nitrite=0, amomia=0, nitrate=0 temp=78F.

The photo below was taken just a few moments ago.

The only unusual thing recently was when my daughter found one of my large Mexican Turbo snails on the floor on Tuesday morning. She dropped him back in the tank but didn't tell me about it until Wednesday night. I pulled him out and he was dead. Amonia was a little high so I did a 10% water change. Thats when I noticed the mushrooms starting to shrink.

These are my first and only corals so I've been carefully watching over them. I would really appreciate any advice to save them.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0435a.jpg
    100_0435a.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 382
If the ammonia was a little high, the mushrooms could be reacting to that and it will just take a little time for them to recover. How long have you had the mushrooms?

I've had them about five weeks. The amonia was about .25 but I usually manage to keep it at 0.

By the way Hara... where in Louisiana are you? I'm in Slidell.
Thanks!

Well here's the latest.
This morning I discovered a red legged crab eating something meaty. Then I noticed the mushroom at the bottom middle of the rock near the sand (you can see it in the photo above) was comming apart. It had some loose tissue (whitish looking) swaying in the current. Looks like this mushroom must be dead (or dieing). But did it die from the crab eating it (doubt it) or did it die and now the crab is eating the remains. I'm still trying to figure out whats happening with these mushrooms. Should I move them? Where? Should I feed them? What?
Help!!!

You may want to place them in an area with a little less current and light. My hairy mushrooms are at the edges of my tank where both current and light are not as strong and they seem to like it there.

Back
Top Bottom