Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

need help please!!! bubbles on rock

i got bubbles on my rock. there not there first thing when i turn my lights on. but get bigger as day progresses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120430_201920.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	92116   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120430_201944.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	92118  

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Rusty,
It looks like there's a little Cyanobacteria, and green hair algea. When the lights come on, the algea feeds on the light and the nutrients in the water. It gives off gas as a result, these are the
Bubbles.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

how do i get rid of it and how harmful is it?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyano comes from excess nutrients. Cutting back feeding by half and reduce your photoperiod by an hour or two, along with regular water changes, will help curb it.
Green Hair is another nuisance algea that is fed by excess nutrients, this could have come in on any new acquisitions. Some crabs like Emrald green Mithrax crAbs are know to eat it as well as others, this will help take care of what is there.
Both algeas need light, that's why the cutting back on photoperiod, will help
The algea is more the symptom, than the problem. The problem is excess nutrients.
Good Luck and hope this helps!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok i got some rowaphos will that help?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That should help pull the Phosphate out of the water. Not really familiar with Rowaphos, but have heard others use it on this site.
With the existing algea, I would suck out the Cyano with airline tubing siphon, and replace the water with new. Some people like to strain it and put it back, but IMO, you can't strain it all out, why bother. The hair algea, try to manually pull out what you can. Any remaining hair, maybe a crab or 2. The crabs help get rid of the hair algea but the nutrients from the algea are still in the tank, now as crab turd. So the crab takes care of the symptom, but actually adds to the overall problem of too many nutrients. The best way to limit the nutrients is careful feeding, and regular water changes. Limiting what goes in the tank and regularly removing what is in the tank is the best way to avoid algea problems.
Beyond this, look for algea turf scrubber on this site. This is a way to use algea against itself, and from what I'm learning it works better than a refugium at exporting nutrients.
Good luck with your tank!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Thanx but no.....

Been gone for awhile and was tooling around the site and have noticed that this seems to be a recurrnig theme (not just about crabs but all inverts)

"The crabs help get rid of the hair algea but the nutrients from the algea are still in the tank, now as crab turd. So the crab takes care of the symptom, but actually adds to the overall problem of too many nutrients."

I'm not sure where it comes from and I don't have any scientific proof but I would think simple biology takes over here. Living things consume food to extract nutrients that there body needs to survive. They excrete what they don't consume. To imply that it is a zero sum game would seem to be highly suspect at best.

To discourage cleanup crew additions because of the zero sum belief would also be suspect

If there is some science behind the statements, drop me a pm w/ the link. I'd love to edumacate muhshelf

I despise skinny felines!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Ahab,
First, I didn't try to discourage any CUC additions. I actually suggested a small CUC addition.
Second, I didn't try to imply a zero-sum theory, just that it's not a perfect solution. I was trying to stress that the algea wasn't the problem, water quality was.
And lastly, it is pretty simple.
The addition of more life to a system, increasing your bioload, all with waste-producing biological systems themselves, to solve the problem of too much waste, seems kinda shtoopd!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Thanx but no.....

that would all make sense, if that's what the words said

I despise skinny felines!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab
that would all make sense, if that's what the words said
Different words, same point. Just didn't think I had to break it down so far, CUC alone will not end an algea problem. Only hide it for awhile.

Are you here just to bust balls, or are you actually trying to help anybody out?

Tags
bubble, bubbles, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com