Need help with ID, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJMS86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this morning and my clown has tiny black dots/specks all over him. Nothing new added to the tank (except small piece of base rock 3 weeks ago) is this black ich? Or possibly being stung by blue Xenia coral (which he swims past a lot, but does not host) I did research, but couldn't find really good pics of the black ich.....any ideas?? Treatments?? For breakfast I gave him garlic soaked mysis shrimp with spirulina, just in case it is disease of some kind. Thanks in advance!!
Joyce

Attachments

• image-970643176.jpg
    image-970643176.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1928653188.jpg
    image-1928653188.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1326153835.jpg
    image-1326153835.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 91
It could be that it has some black clown genes, the spots could be it starting to turn black. I had my clowns start showing black spots and they were bright orange. Now they are very dark, not quite black but close.

If your clown is hosting something like a coral or anemone it could be hyper melanization however I would make sure it weren't black ich since you said he isnt hosting it. You could always take him out and QT him if you think it is. I found this on treatment for black ich once he's been quarantined:

Formalin based products or those containing organophosphate compounds such as trichlorfon appear to be the best medications.

Thanks to all for trying to ID the issue with my clown! But don't think it was ich, or even ammonia burns, (as did water checks etc...no ammonia ever -since 1st cycle looonnggg ago) anyway, he barely has spots anymore so whatever it was, it's over now.
After the fact, I, myself too broke out with a "rash" type patch on my right arm where I was rearranging the LR, moving my palythoas to a new place in tank. Do you think it's possible that clown/I got stung/toxin type issues? Just wondering?

JJMS86 said:
Thanks to all for trying to ID the issue with my clown! But don't think it was ich, or even ammonia burns, (as did water checks etc...no ammonia ever -since 1st cycle looonnggg ago) anyway, he barely has spots anymore so whatever it was, it's over now.
After the fact, I, myself too broke out with a "rash" type patch on my right arm where I was rearranging the LR, moving my palythoas to a new place in tank. Do you think it's possible that clown/I got stung/toxin type issues? Just wondering?

I don't know about the clown, but if the palys touched you you could very well have gotten stung. Careful! Some are very toxic!

Back
Top Bottom