Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Variety is very important in the fish's diet as is what you choose. Brine and dried foods depending on manufacturer often being poor choices. The Formula is fine but what in the tank is going to benefit from the Zooplankton or invert food?
The zoo plankton I feed is Sweetwater's cultured daphnia spp. says its for all species and I forgot I also do feed a blender mix of all the good stuff that a LFS sells for $4 bux a baggie...expensive I know but if my wife saw me using her blender... shudders...

Quote:
That would be just fine but be careful with the skimmer if using meds. Some will be affected by it's use. Also keep in mind that any equipment should remain QT only for safety sake of the main tank. Be sure as well to lightly feed the QT 1-2x a week to feed bacteria and keep the tank cycled if without fish.
When this is up and running all equipment used will NEVER come in contact with the main ever again. As for the skilter I can forgo this and just watch parameters and change water as needed.

Quote:
I do suspect something, just not clear on what yet so please keep the thread updated if there are any changes/new symptoms no matter how minor. I would definately start with a series of large water changes (well aged/aerated) over the next few days to reduce potential organics as well as augmenting the diet and quality of foods fed. If a minor bacterial issue (which I doubt) it will help. Be sure to get the QT up and cycled in the meantime.

I did a 15 gal water change about two hours ago and when I was looking at the Angel and the spots were gone... I know that doesnt mean anything,I just dont know what it was,I will keep a close watch on the tank in the meantime.

I going to start adding water to the QT most likely Sunday, Should I use all new water to start or would lets say 5 gal from the main and the rest new water and toss in a shrimp piece to start the cycle process. The QT is 20 gal long with a Americal 150 wet/dry/sump,about 5 xtra gal.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbound
I going to start adding water to the QT most likely Sunday, Should I use all new water to start or would lets say 5 gal from the main and the rest new water and toss in a shrimp piece to start the cycle process. The QT is 20 gal long with a Americal 150 wet/dry/sump,about 5 xtra gal.
You can fill the QT with all main tank, all new or a mix of both. It really doesn't matter much unless the fish is being added quickly then I would use all main tank water. Otherwise it doesn't matter, the amount of beneficial bacteria in the main tanks water is negligable and of no consequence.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

steve-s,
Thank you for all your replies... I added all new water earlier today and all I have to do is go buy a shrimp unless I can get the same effect with a couple of frozen silversides... I posted a couple of pics of my main and new QT setup in the General section if you want to take a peek...
Old 01-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
steve-s

Anything that rots will create ammonia so it really doesn't matter fish or shrimp. I will have a look at your other thread

Good luck
Cheers
Steve

Tags
angel, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com