Need nitrifying bacteria for cool saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hok

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As far as I know, saltwater nitrifying bacteria are Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus. As Nitrosococcus will convert ammonia (NH3 + NH4+) to nitrite (NO2-), then Nitrococcus will convert nitrite (NO2-) to Nitrate (NO3-). However, their optimal temperature range is between 77 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am looking for saltwater nitrifying bacteria have optimal temperature range between 52 and 62 degrees Fahrenheit. Can anyone let me know the names of bacteria as well as where I can buy them? Thank you in advance for any pointer. :)

If we are talking SW......

The bacteria in a closed system are Nitrosomonas for ammonia and Nitrobacters for nitrites. In a wild setting the Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus would be the prevelant bacteria but in the types of systems we care for the aforemention two become the dominant. You also do not need to worry about the NH4 unless the ph is kept in a lower range which for SW does not happen. Only the NH3 is relavent.

When setting up a coldwater species tank, you allow the bacteria to colonize and grow at a normal room temp or higher. Once the cycling has completed, you lower the temp slowly over a few weeks at a few degrees each day. The bacteria is the same, it will just work much slower. Since the temp will be lower, there will be much more available O2 that will aid in the oxidization of wastes as well.

Cheers
Steve

Nope... The two you mention are present as well as others but in an "artificial" environment, they will not be the dominant genera.

Filtration Basics.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom