Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Need some help mysterious death..

I bought two firefish yesterday. They both seemed to do very well yesterday, both swimming together and what not. Woke up this mornign and was was fine and hiding. The other one was swimming as if he was drunk. I noticed behind his gills it was red almost like internal bleeding. I had to go to class so I moved him into his own area in the fuge are. I came home and he is now dead. What cuased this death? Was he sick even when I got him? The other is swimming happy as ever right now and my clown has been in the tank for about a week and is very happy also.

I did a quick test on NO2 and NO3 right before I left. Im showing 0 nitrite and maybe 2-3ppm of nitrate.

Also the bleeding only seem to be on one side of the fish (other side looks fine).

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/FishSig.jpg
Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you acclimate him right?

There are so many things that could have happened. He may have been sick when you bought him and it really got bad after you put him in the tank. He looks bruised to me, but that could be any number of things.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NOt sure, i brought the fish to my fish place and he didnt know either. He gave me another one so lets hope this one is healthy.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m just wondering if there was some aggression with the clown.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a purple firesfish and I notice his gills are pronounced with a little dark red hue as well. But, they're not nearly as red as in your pic! I'm guessing he was somewhat ill from the beginning and maybe you stressed him too much by all the handling. On the carpet, in his own fuge.....Probably would've been best to just leave him be. I also doubt the clown had anything to do with it unless he's a fullgrown maroon.

Anyways, sorry to hear about loss. Peace_
Old 01-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you buying your livestock from the same store each time? You've had alot of bad luck for one reason or another and perhaps it's time to consider, maybe you are just getting unhealthy stock.
Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I had a problem with a couple of firefish too. I got them from a store I don't frequent but I had a gift certificate for the store so I got them. My normal lfs told me that firefish are often cyanide caught. They last long enough to ship and sell but die within a couple of weeks from the damage. I don’t know if this is true or not, just passing it along as I know it does happen in this hobby...
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
Are you buying your livestock from the same store each time? You've had alot of bad luck for one reason or another and perhaps it's time to consider, maybe you are just getting unhealthy stock.
Sorry for your loss.
Nope actually this is a new place I just found a few weeks ago and really like them alot. Most my other fish came from a feeders supply. As they were good but im thinking the fish werent to cared.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've been told that it is very difficult to keep more than one firefish in a tank. They are very agressive with one another. Unless you find a mated pair, chances are you will be down to one before too long.

Tags
death, eat, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com