Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need some help with a problem... Starry blenny

Hello all

Thank you for your time reading my thread. Over the past week i have been dealing with the addition of my blenny, last 2 days specifically on why he has been scratching/flashing and staying around the intake tube on my filter.

He has been eating like a champ .. Both frozen and some flakes.... My blenny has a dark spot on his back end he seems to be scratching/ rubbing near that area specifically.
I of course was worried about it being ich or a parasite but everyone i have shown pictures to say its not a parasite they have seen and then another from a forum said the closest thing they could suggest would be a scar/scab from something
The tank that housed him at the lfs did have some corals but im talking one or 2 tops ... Was the theory he was stung by a coral is why i suggest this. But closely looking at him and observing more is making my nerves wrecked trying to figure out what it is and what to do.
As much as i want to take him out into a QT i was told by alot it might just stress him more and it really didnt look like ich or a disease.
My pair of clowns are completely normal. Look great too

If anyone can help info or suggestions i appreciate it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-178878703.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	207931

Name:	image-1056081082.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	207932

Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

What finally made me give the SOS to you great people on here and another forum i use... Is that the last day or so he has been Towards the top of the tank and hanging onto the intake tube to my filter. He is slowly showing more and more signs of stress.... I just wana help my blenny buddy out. Im thinking this is more than a scab or something

I mixed up some salt and h20 to do a PWC and see if its something with water conditions but i figure the clowns would be showing signs of stress also.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Are the parameters stable and pristine in your QT? I'm assuming you are pointing out that white spot? Def looks abnormal...I would keep him in QT just to keep an eye on him. It might also be beneficial to treat him for a parasite or even ich...not stating that could be the case, but what could it hurt? If it can't be ID'd I would treat it...many people treat every incoming fish with copper based medications so I wouldn't see a problem with doing it here just as a precaution, positive ID on that lump or not.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply, he is not in qt tank he was aclimated and put into qt 7 days ago. I was going to put into QT and it was mentioned to me that it may be more stressful than its worth because it didnt look like a parasite and more like a spot healing like a scab or similar .
It has some darkness behind the white spot and can see dark under the skin when he swims near the light. Thats what made me think it really is a parasite or similar

Think it could be ich? If its not ich specifically and another parasite is there something i can add to the tank to help treat the tank itself and the pair of clowns in it also. They have been acting 100% normal

Any idea on him hanging onto / around the intake inlet to my filter besides him hitting the sand and such to scratch himself it looks
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No way is it ich. I just dont know what it actually is. I would try a copper based treatment or look into treating internal parasites.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Could it be some type of parasitic isopod hanging onto him? It kinda looks like it's protruding from that area weird.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Trying to get a few better pics to post

Name:	image-3391835726.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	207949

Name:	image-3306180422.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	207950
Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a starry blenny as well. I noticed those marks today. After a quick google image search it seems to be very common. About the behaviour, I have no real idea but I think you can disregard the marking.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #9

Yours look same? The black looks like its under the skin?

Its relieving to hear another starry owner say similar but more confused now as to his "itching " and stress like attitude now

Ugh .... Was told by another on here when i started the most stressful time is yet to come... Meaning when i finally got to stock my tank is more stressful than patience when i was waiting for the end cycle. And that statement has been completely true haha ... All i know is my blenny seems to not be a happy camper :/
Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #10

The white mark itself isnt what im bugged about its the dark spot thats under it. It really is like something is under his skin, i wish he would let me get a close up i tried

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com