Need some help with a problem... Starry blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JW20VT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all

Thank you for your time reading my thread. Over the past week i have been dealing with the addition of my blenny, last 2 days specifically on why he has been scratching/flashing and staying around the intake tube on my filter.

He has been eating like a champ .. Both frozen and some flakes.... My blenny has a dark spot on his back end he seems to be scratching/ rubbing near that area specifically.
I of course was worried about it being ich or a parasite but everyone i have shown pictures to say its not a parasite they have seen and then another from a forum said the closest thing they could suggest would be a scar/scab from something
The tank that housed him at the lfs did have some corals but im talking one or 2 tops ... Was the theory he was stung by a coral is why i suggest this. But closely looking at him and observing more is making my nerves wrecked trying to figure out what it is and what to do.
As much as i want to take him out into a QT i was told by alot it might just stress him more and it really didnt look like ich or a disease.
My pair of clowns are completely normal. Look great too

If anyone can help info or suggestions i appreciate it

image-178878703.jpg

image-1056081082.jpg

What finally made me give the SOS to you great people on here and another forum i use... Is that the last day or so he has been Towards the top of the tank and hanging onto the intake tube to my filter. He is slowly showing more and more signs of stress.... I just wana help my blenny buddy out. Im thinking this is more than a scab or something

I mixed up some salt and h20 to do a PWC and see if its something with water conditions but i figure the clowns would be showing signs of stress also.

Are the parameters stable and pristine in your QT? I'm assuming you are pointing out that white spot? Def looks abnormal...I would keep him in QT just to keep an eye on him. It might also be beneficial to treat him for a parasite or even ich...not stating that could be the case, but what could it hurt? If it can't be ID'd I would treat it...many people treat every incoming fish with copper based medications so I wouldn't see a problem with doing it here just as a precaution, positive ID on that lump or not.

Thank you for the reply, he is not in qt tank he was aclimated and put into qt 7 days ago. I was going to put into QT and it was mentioned to me that it may be more stressful than its worth because it didnt look like a parasite and more like a spot healing like a scab or similar .
It has some darkness behind the white spot and can see dark under the skin when he swims near the light. Thats what made me think it really is a parasite or similar

Think it could be ich? If its not ich specifically and another parasite is there something i can add to the tank to help treat the tank itself and the pair of clowns in it also. They have been acting 100% normal

Any idea on him hanging onto / around the intake inlet to my filter besides him hitting the sand and such to scratch himself it looks

Could it be some type of parasitic isopod hanging onto him? It kinda looks like it's protruding from that area weird.

I have a starry blenny as well. I noticed those marks today. After a quick google image search it seems to be very common. About the behaviour, I have no real idea but I think you can disregard the marking.

Yours look same? The black looks like its under the skin?

Its relieving to hear another starry owner say similar but more confused now as to his "itching " and stress like attitude now

Ugh .... Was told by another on here when i started the most stressful time is yet to come... Meaning when i finally got to stock my tank is more stressful than patience when i was waiting for the end cycle. And that statement has been completely true haha ... All i know is my blenny seems to not be a happy camper :/

The white mark itself isnt what im bugged about its the dark spot thats under it. It really is like something is under his skin, i wish he would let me get a close up i tried

I've noticed mine doing what seems to be scratching as well however there is no sign of ich or any other issues. Aside form possible scratching it almost seems like a territorial display which wouldn't be out of character since the starry blennys are fairly territorial.

Seems like the black spot and the outer white mark are present on alot of blennies also... I stayed up a long time last night searching and saw a few similar looking posts and pictures.
So that made me more nervous because his show of stress makes me wonder whats going on... Soooo today when i do my water change i think i. Going to move around some rocks and see if this helps with territory its the only thing left i can try.

Maybe the clowns got him scared that bad for territory ?

Thanks again to all for the help over this weekend with my blenny....

Today i did a good water change and rearranged my rockscape to see if that would restart the territory with the clowns and blenny, im in process of buying some new dry rock anyways so adding will help also for hide spots but i made 2 cave like structures with the live rock i do have and so far ... Blenny has taken the nice big one and clowns are swimming all around but focused more on the other cave across from blenny...

They all ate good after the rock and water change....water specs so far so good since the move around. Someone please keep there fingers crossed for me :)

Thanks J

Day one of re-arrange shows blenny still stressed but getting around and eating. He is going to top of tank still alot whether it be in corner or swimming along top.

I know fish like to hit the sand to make food float up but seems like hes still doing it quite abit. Wish he would just settle down so i could sit and enjoy for a day. Im just worried theres something else going on im always a paranoid/worried though :)

Water params are 0 amm 0 nitrites and nitrates look to be orange/10 which they have been from start. Even with big WC using distilled 100 percent in tank .... I of course would like to get the. Low as possible but could this be a reason of him acting like this?

I'd say no. That amount of nitrates *might* affect coral but a fish, I doubt that.

It sometimes takes some fish longer than others to get acclimated to their new homes. Just enjoy! :-D

Back
Top Bottom