need some help with free live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a chance to get 30 lbs of free live rock! Only problem is it has some apstasia and bubble alge. I know how to deal with the aps but what about bubble? Is it bad? Thanks

I had some in two of my tanks. In one I actually picked all the bubbles off, VERY carefully and in the 125g I got 4 emerald crabs and they made quick work of it. :)

I had some in two of my tanks. In one I actually picked all the bubbles off, VERY carefully and in the 125g I got 4 emerald crabs and they made quick work of it. :)

So emerald crabs will eat the bubble? Cool. Its 30 lbs for free so if I can treat it its worth it.

Just make sure you like crabs, I happen to like mine, they do little dances for me against the front glass. But I don't have any fish or anything that will bother them.

Just make sure you like crabs, I happen to like mine, they do little dances for me against the front glass. But I don't have any fish or anything that will bother them.

Oh... I an getting a true perc clown pair and a yellow tang... do u think the crabs will survive?

Yep, the crabs will be fine with those fish. You do have a 100g plus tank for that tang right? They need a huge tank to be healthy and happy :-D

The LFS tend to do that. In the end they just wanna make a sale it seems. And nope, a 55 is FAR too small for most any tang. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better you know now than after you get the fish.

Still alot of options though so let us know what you plan on going with. :-D

The LFS tend to do that. In the end they just wanna make a sale it seems. And nope, a 55 is FAR too small for most any tang. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better you know now than after you get the fish.

Still alot of options though so let us know what you plan on going with. :-D

Could I get away with a bi-color angel? They are an awesome yellow and blue.

My first thought is it isn't enough light. You have 3 lights and 2 are t8's? This is a standard 55g tank right?

My first thought is it isn't enough light. You have 3 lights and 2 are t8's? This is a standard 55g tank right?

Four bulbs total. 2 17" 50/50 bulbs, a 24" 8k small diameter, and a 24" auarium bulb. Large diameter.

Here are the 50/50's. I've built my own holder. The bulbs now run length wise instead of side by side... and yes standard 55.

img_1614388_0_146c6b9c5ddc84afd0419a4ce1fa6aa8.jpg

Travis55 said:
Before I put anything in ill be swapping out the standard aquarium bulb for a blue actinic* and swap the 8k for a 10k. Will that be enough?

No T8's will be sufficient. You could get away with T5 but MH will give a nem the best chance. The swap in bulbs will only change the colour spectrum not the actual output so will do very little I think. Have you looked at any higher output lighting? What else do you want in the tank? If you want any SPS or LPS corals these will also need better lighting.

No T8's will be sufficient. You could get away with T5 but MH will give a nem the best chance. The swap in bulbs will only change the colour spectrum not the actual output so will do very little I think. Have you looked at any higher output lighting? What else do you want in the tank? If you want any SPS or LPS corals these will also need better lighting.

Pretty much just a nem or two and fish. I had these lights laying around so I kinda threw them together. I don't have money for a nice light set up...

Unfortunately, if you can't manage at least a 4 bulb T5HO unit, you can't go with the anemone. That would be the bare minimum lighting, preferably you'd want a couple 175-250w MH's or some of the new LED systems out there along with the T5's.

With the lights you have, you could go with softies like, leathers, mushrooms, or zoanthids.

Back
Top Bottom