Nemo Died...Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, Pretty bummed here. I have had my tank running for about 5 weeks now. It is a 75 gallon tank with 105pds live rock, hang on back filter, protien skimmer, 2 1/2 inches of cc and sand. 4 damsels (domino, yellow tail) had 2 clowns (now just one) horseshoe crab, 16 hermit crabs, 2 anenome's, 2 flame scallops. My clown that died was about 3 weeks old to us. When we first got him he swam around good, looked fine. 1 day later, would not eat, stayed in the same spot. For two weeks, I thought that he might have been sick because he didnt eat. I qt'ed him. This past week added him back to the tank. He seemed to be doing fine. Last couple of days swam around better than ever. Got home today, and was almost dead. 20 min after I got home he died. All the other fish are doing great. I franticlly checked for water problems. Nitrate 0, Nitrite, 0, Ammonia 0, PH 8.2. I three weeks of having little nemo, I never once saw him eat a bite. I tried all kinds of food. I thought that he might have been eating off the live rock.

What are your thoughts on this?

He was a very small fish from the get go. His color was always good, no whit spots or mucas. Today his tail was whiter than normal.

Well, what do you think? I'll shut up.

Bummed Out,
David

PS. I have tons of brown, rust algae growing in and all over the tank. The lfs said leave it alone, it is because the tank is at the end of it's cycle.

Not sure, but if you didn't qt him upon purchase, you should keep a good eye on the rest of your fish. 3 weeks is a good while without eating, that may have been it. They seem to be carnivores, I have never seen mine eat of rock.
Good luck.

Need a few answers, as QS pointed out 3 weeks is enough for the fish to starve, did it ever begin eating again? Was the fish tank raised or was it wild caught?

isnt ur tank a little young for all that??
sounds like a high bio-load for a tank thats only 5 weeks old

Mr. Marine

OK, this might have something to do with it. I dont know about, but I know it's not good right? My other clown, has a long stringy thing hanging from him, as my other one did. I have only had him for about 4 days, and he acts like he wants to eat but won't. Am I in big trouble? Please say no.

Try soaking the food in garlic juice. It has been know to stimulate a feeding response. 4 days is not very long, many fish will go the first week without eating. As for the stringy thing, it may be just fecal matter. What color is it? The possibility is there for an internal infection of some sort.
Also as Reefrunner asked, is he tank raised or wild?

revhtree said:
My other clown, has a long stringy thing hanging from him, as my other one did. I have only had him for about 4 days
If this is from the outside of the body it will most likely be Brooklynella hostilis aka clownfish disease. In which case all the fish will need to be Qt'd and treated with >>formalin<<. :(

If coming only from the anus, it could just be an internal bacterial infection. Any sign of bloating?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom