NEMO DOWN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really think it is wrong to kill them at all even if you "cut" or "freeze" them. Fish can be resilient with the right care. Anyways I have petco fish and basically this is what I found... my Maroon clown from them died to fin rot but not until about a month after I got her. She went through the cycle in the tank so she probably stressed to the point of bacteria infection... my Valentini puffer died a few weeks after I got him because he got stuck in my PH (the damn thing was without a cover for about an hour and he managed to get stuck). My Niger Trigger is a pig and very active and he is super healthy... lived through my cycle and everything. I also have a Yellow tang from them that is doing great... only a few weeks old but very active and a pretty good eater. I did lose one tang because of aclimating issues. This is basically what I believe: Petco fish require extra adjusting time. My local one has very low salinity in it's tanks... I think it was like 1.014... Obviously not real good... The first tang died most likely because I put in in my 1.024 tank in a matter of 3 hours. Now before you flame me on doing that it was due to me not knowing what they kept their salinity at... my holding tank was the same as my 55g so I let her in and she died moments after. With the last tang I let her adjust super slowly over the period of four or five hours. After that he did fine. I turned the PH's off and let him relax with the lights off overnight. In the morning he looked great. Obviously at first he wasn't real well but what aclimating fish is? My point being that if you are real careful you can have a healthy petco fish. Obviously watch for eating habits and tank conditions at the store... btw most petcos will hold fish for you but I am not sure if that is better or worse since I would rather my fish spend as little time possible there. Honestly I only believe one died because of them and it was half my fault for not checking into the parameters first.

yea a lot of my best fish have come from petco- like my 5 yr old ocellaris :) its a matter of picking out the right fish and knowing what your looking for.

I really think it is wrong to kill them at all even if you "cut" or "freeze" them

It seems like SW fish go pretty quickly, so maybe it's not as much of an issue. But I keep goldfish, too, and they can get some terrible, terrible bacterial infections that eat them alive. At some point, it's clear they aren't going to make it and they are just suffering. I had a GF die from dropsy a couple of years ago and I wish I had been brave enough to end it for him, because his last day or so was just awful. So, IMO, there is a time to put a fish down, if it's all over but the suffering. Which is not at all to say this is the case with the Nemo in this thread. :)

lol i think ppl get lazy and abbreviate too much..then im left trying to research what it means and the post ends up all broken for me!! lol nah, these boards are cool because you can mouse over the abbrv. and it tells you what it is

pretty nice!

Cutting their heads off is sick.So is freezing them.I either just wait to they die or take them out if they look too bad.Very true, dwculp,Petco fish are not healthy.I would spend a little more money for my fish to live longer by going to a Real Fish Store.

jesse freezing them is humane because they slowly shut down not feeling much pain but what i got from what you said was when they are dying you just take them out of the water? TRy holding your breath for as long as you can. Now that wasnt horrible was it? I personally think cutting theyrre head off is sick also.

Whats wierd is the petco i go to has nice reasonably healthy fw fish. But,i wouldnt trust buying sw fish from them.

not trying to be mean but i had to speak up.

Back
Top Bottom