Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Neon Blue Goby: Rapid Breathing

Hello all,
Today I found my new neon blue goby rapidly breathing. He has been doing this all day and staying in the back. He has not been active today like he usually has been. There are no marks on him, or any other signs of disease.

He is in a 2.5g pico with two sexy shrimp, a hermit, and a snail as tank mates and a handful of corals.

I first thought ammonia, but ammonia test shows 0. Nothing else seems to be ill, just him. The sexy shrimp are eating whatever I put in the tank and do their lil shake all day long.
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.024

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Looks as if he will die. :-(
Matt

Old 06-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is their water movement? How long has the tank been up? The tank is small for any fish and I would try to find a prawn goby if any fish.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup, got an AquaClear 20 going full blast and splashing the water. Hes been fine since putting him in, just started looking odd today. Maybe I am running into the same problems others said they had with neon gobys mysteriously dying? I hope not.

Matt
Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hes dead...:-(

I might know why though. I bought a new Marineland 10W heater and found the temp at 82.2F today! Its supposed to be factory set at 78F !

Could that have killed him? The other tank creatures are all fine.

Matt
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think a temp of 82 would kill a fish... Then again the higher the temp the less DO is in the water, so...?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, I didnt think so but considering the rapid breathing, I think it might have been too little 02. THANKS Marineland...Brand new heater...Poor fish and after all the trouble I went to for him.

Thats the way it goes I guess...
Matt
Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally would not put a fish in a 2.5 gallon tank. It`s just plain too small. Water parameters would have to be perfect all the time. The least little problem would be magnified in that size tank. No room to move. Not bashing just my opinion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was also feeling 2.5g is small, but felt I could keep water parameters good. The only thing that went wrong was the heater. I have also seen others with gobys in their pico and felt I would give it a go. What other gobys might manage to fit the tank? I really would like to fit one in there if possible.

Matt
Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I googled my heater and found people complaining that its defective! What luck, huh? At least I know it wasnt something I caused directly. (Dirty hands or failure to treat his disease before).

I cant find a good heater that is small enough to fit this tank. My place gets down to like 73 or 72 at night and up to 78 or so during the day. I have a mini hydor heater but it has no thermostat. Is it okay for temperatures to vary that much during the day?

Matt
Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trust me 82 degrees is nothing. My tank got to 88 with tangs due to an issue with the halides timer. The 900W of lights heated the tank and everything was fine after cooling off.

Tags
api, breathing, eat, goby, neon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com