Neon Goby growing cotton balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davebailey46

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i know a fungal disease shouldn't be the cause. So could this be a parasite or a stress related condition?
Water parameters are in check and have been for 3 months
Fish was QT'ed for 2-3 weeks
Now within a week of introduction to the main tank he now has these growths that almost look like mini cotton balls (which makes me think fungus from my freshwater days)
Just to note: he has been in hiding due to a nasty dottyback which has been removed to QT
Any help would be great
Thanks

Attachments

• mini-img_0051.jpg
    mini-img_0051.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 89
  • mini-img_0050.jpg
    mini-img_0050.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 76
  • mini-img_0050.jpg
    mini-img_0050.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 92
Please post the actual numbers for your water quality. Also include what you normally feed the fish, how often and whether or not the goby is eating well. Please include what other fish are in the 55.

The pics aren't clear enough to tell but I see no redness associated with the tufts? More than likely this will be the onset of Lymphocystis. Actual occurances of true fungal infections in marine fish are so rare that 99.9% of the time they are not the case. Bacterial or Lympho will be the primary things to look for.

Cheers
Steve

Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites all 0
Ph 8.4
Temp 80.9
Cal 440
I feed once a day (on revolving schedule)
Mysis one day, Formula1 the next, pellet Spektrum the next. (Fresh brine very occasionally)
Tank mates are 2 Percs, Coral Beauty, Bangaii cardinal, Mandarin, 1 Cleaner shrimp and 1 Peppermint shrimp
I have not seen him eat since being put into main tank....
Thanks Steve...

davebailey46 said:
I have not seen him eat since being put into main tank....
This is a rather large concern. The longer the fish goes without food, the lower it's immune response will become. Not sure if in such a short time frame this would be a contributor or simpley adding to a pre existing problem. In any event, it is very important to get the fish eating again so it can rebuild it's strength and fight off the possible viral infection that may be present.

The first thing I would try is ensuring the foods fed are small enough in size to where the goby can easily injest them. Particle size can often be an issue with small fish getting enough to eat. Does it show any interest in the foods at all during feeding time and free from tank mate aggression?

If you can get it to eat, be sure the foods are soaked in garlic before hand and if possible, Beta Glucan. Adding a liquid marine vitamin to the water daily wouldn't hurt either. Zoe or Vita chem being good options as they contain vitamin B12.

In the short term, I would suggest several large water changes in the main tank to reduce any DOC that will be feeding the problem. Even though your numbers look good, it's not the nitrogens that lend to these problems but rather the nutrient before it enters the cycle for being broken down.

Please read <<here>>...

Is the QT still set up and cycled?

Cheers
Steve

He was coming out during feeding but never actively came after it. Until today...I feed him at the opposite end of the tank (thanks for the knock down the particle size tip) and he happily ate...
QT is still up and running with the nasty dottyback. Im pretty sure he wont ever get back into the main due to his disposition. I will get the vitamin supplements and do the water changes starting tommorrow. I think your DOC advise is spot on (since I don't skim) Guess what I am buying tomorrow!
Thanks for the great advice. I will update his condition...

Great Diagnosis Steve...
The bleeping dottyback has returned to his home at my LFS.
The Neon is as good as new, eating ferociously, and swimming freely...
Thanks for all your help!
Done and done

Even the problem solved, I am just wondering, aren't those ich? Cuz when i had last ich out break my neon goby looks exactly like that, unless i made a huge mistakes that my tank isn't having ich ? 8O

Would need to see your fish (pic?) to say one way or the other. C. irritans is not that large in size so if anything bigger than a grain of sugar, your looking at either a bacterial infection caused by a parasite, wound or Lymphocystis. More commonly without the presence of the former, it will be Lymphocystis.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom