Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
cj10488

New acro small piece turning White

On my new acro frag where it seems as though it was previously fragged it is starting to bleach... The rest of the Acro looks great.. All water levels awesome.. 0 amm... 0 rites... 2 trates.. Alk 3.43 meq/l... Ca 420...

edit- BTW pH is 8.2

I have enclosed the best possible picture that I could get..

TIA,
James
Old 11-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Can we get a close up of the bleaching area? Looks less like bleaching and more like loss of tissue. How long did it take to get this way?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
cj10488

Now that you speak of I would say loss of tissue as well.. This is as close up as I can Get.. I did notice a while back some of the tissue that looked like it was kind of peeling away.... As for how long I have had it since 11-14-03.. About 2 weeks.. It started off very small and continued.. I relized today when it was the entire small branch.. I do know that the LFS cut the Blue tip that was on all the ends of the branches off prior to sale for frag purposes... All the other tips seem to be fine.. BTW fwiw it still looks like there is polyps appearing in the White Area.. but very hard to tell..

HTH<
James
Old 11-23-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I did notice a while back some of the tissue that looked like it was kind of peeling away
This sounds like RTN, if so the coral should be fragged immediately to try and save the rest of it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
cj10488

So I should cut off that one branch??? If so Would sharp Scissors suffice and how should i cut?? At an Angle or???

James
Old 11-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
cj10488

ok here is an extreme close up of before the cut.. and then one after the cut.. Do you think I got close enough? Or???

TIA,
James
Old 11-25-2003, 03:28 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

cj10488,

If you can get your hands on some Tech-D coral dip by Kent, follow the instructions on the bottle. It helps prevent the spread of any bacterial infection.

HTH,'
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:33 PM   #8
cj10488

Ok I will look for that at the LFS.. Adds are they done have it but its worth a try.. OTOH the Acro seems to be doing pretty good at the moment.. Polyps are extending like normal... I am hoping that I do not have further issues with this piece...

James
Old 11-30-2003, 12:38 AM   #9
cj10488

Well its apreading across the coral bottom.. Can I cut the think almost completely in half???

James
Old 11-30-2003, 02:39 AM   #10
cj10488

Ok well I decided to Cut The H$ll out of it and Just try my luck.. Odd thing is when I cut it out came a bristle worm and a few other wierd creatures that are small.. Do these things actually live inside these corals... Could this be what Caused RTN on this Coral???

I have 3 very small Frags left of this and a 2 extra "chunks" that I just happened to throw On a piece of LR to see If those happen to turn out ok.. The Chunks have a bit of Tissue loss due to the Cutters that I was using.. The other 3 frags look great so far and hopefully the will recover nicely..

TIA,
James

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com