Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

new addition and quarantine

Well, we bought a yellow tang yesterday to go in our 75 gal. We have wanted to get one but it was sort of an impulse buy since I did not have the quarantine tank up yet.

I put water from my main tank and some fresh saltwater in a 10 gal with a heater and a power filter. I have used the power filter before but I had to use a carbon filter pad since I was out of the filter for the unit itself. I figure I will be monitoring for ammonia and doing water changes on this.

I have tried yellow tangs in the past with little success. I think it was due to my tank being to small and improper diet. I bought some seaweed selects and have some Formula 2 flakes now to feed with.

The tang had great yellow color and swam alot at the LFS. It is swimming now but is showing some red lines in the nose. I am not really concerned but I figure having it in a 10 gal QT and the move has stressed it out. Besides looking for spots, any other signs I should be looking for?

It has not ate yet and I don't want to keep trying to feed it since I don't want to an ammonia spike ...

Old 11-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
steve-s

The red marks are usually the sign of a mild bacterial infection. Try a few small water changes to see if that help with it. Did you use any of the LFS bagged water in the QT? It could also be the result of some sort of abbrassion from transport or netting.

If it persists, you may need to opt for a broad spectrum anti-biotic for gram negative baacteria. I would suggest keeping up with the improved diet and small water changes to see if it recovers on it's own first...

How is the ph and other water parameters.. ?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I added my water to the bag little by little and dumped half out and started over. I then netted the fish from the bag to the QT.

I have not tested the water other than ammonia yet. He has been in Qt less than 12 hrs at this point. I will test the rest ..
Old 11-16-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

PH 8.8
Nitrites under .25 ... barely registered
Nitrates 0
Old 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
steve-s

I would re-test the ph to be sure, 8.8 is quite high. If you just did a water change, wait at least a few hours before testing the ph again as the newly added water may spike the ph a bit.

Watch the ph though, if/when ammonia becomes present it will actually be more toxic than usual with a high ph value. If the ph does not settle by itself in a day or so, you might try adding some soda water. About Ĺ teaspoon at a time until it comes down to about 8.2-8.3, just be very careful to add slowly and test each time.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My tap water tests for the same value as the tank water does. Should this go down? The PH on my tap water is a bit high. 8.8 was actually a guess. The color does not match 8.6 but is not as dark as 9.0. I think this PH test is not very good. My colors are never quite the same as the diagram for PH.

Anyway, the fish is now on the bottom of the tank just breathing. There is little hope it will make it. I don't have anything to treat with but I doubt it would matter. I did just do a wter change with water from the main tank to see if it matters.

<24 hr survival sucks. Don't think there was a guarantee but I will check.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:41 PM   #7
steve-s

If using the tap water (not a great idea ), make sure you mix up the saltwater at least 24 hrs ahead of time with a PH and heater to ensure that the parameters have had time to stabalize. When setting up a QT "on the fly" it is better to use the main tanks water as it will be less stressful on the newly aquired fish than a new batch of water would. If you are planning on any future purchases, I would suggest leaving the QT running and allow it to stabalize on it's own.

If the tang has just started the rapid breathing after the water swap, I would suspect a drastic change in the ph (not good). These kinds of changes must be done very slowly so as not to shock the inhabitants. Due to the small size of the QT, you must think in smaller degrees to avoid drastic changes. Have you tested the ph since the water change or was the 8.6 the new reading and are you sure the ammonia is not registering? If you have not done a water change, then ammonia would be suspect for sure.

In most cases, ph will settle in a day or two on it's own so in future do not use the tap water immediately from the tap but rather let is sit for a few hours to allow the ph come down. Even better would be to get an RO unit but in it's absence, you could fill a 5 gal bucket and have it on hand for top ups and such. Use a PH to keep the water moving as well. I would also get yourself a more accurate ph test if your having trouble with this one. What brand is it?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 07:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I used the main tanks water for the QT. I do make the water ahead of time and use a PH and a heater.

The tap water has been used for the main tank-running for 1.5 months and my last tank for 9 years.

I did a water change on the QT after the tang was on the bottom - he was laying on the bottom.

All tests were done today with an Aquarium Pharm test kit.

sucks!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
steve-s

Your main tank's ph generally runs at 8.6+ consistantly or just near the end of the day? Sorry to belabour the issue but I am not understanding where the high ph is coming from if using the water from the main tank in the QT unless the test is giving a false reading.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I just tested the PH of the main tank. This is the end of th day and based on what I got, I would have to say the reading is between 8.6-9.0. This is a wide range pH test. 8.2 is a light blue green color, 8.6 is a bit darker and 9.0 is dark blue. My reading really never show any green but are usually a lighter color than the dark blue. I will test again in the morning to see what it says.

I have added water latelythough. With the QT, I had to replace the water I took out.

Since it was dire anyway, I treated the QT with some greenx. I had it from long ago and it was all I had. The tang is moving but still laying flat on the bottom.

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com