Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 01:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

all good and valid points.

I just don't want to make the mistake of buying everything new, invest an arm and a leg just to find out 6 month down the road that this is not a hobby for me (been there done that).
I want to start as cost effective as possible with something that could take me all the way to reef, if I keep the interest in the aquarium and all the fishes for at least a year or two, I might even sell it and get a bigger and better new tank.

let's assume the cosmetics are good enough for me and there is no trace of copper in the water/tank/equipment.
could I just have someone drill the holes and make it a reef ready tank?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes and no. Driling glass tanks can be tricky. You need to make sure that the glass is not tempered, otherwise it will just shatter. Keep in mind, you do not need a reef-ready tank in order to utilize a sump (although it is a bit easier). Many people use external overflows instead of the built-in internal overfows in a reef-ready. We are only here to offer suggestions (hey, it is pretty easy to spend other people's $$$ ). You are the one that needs to be completely comfortable with what you end up with. Buying a pre-owned tank from the classifieds can save you big money, you can also save on equipment by buying on-line. There is a pretty big difference between the LFS around me and the internet. Keep researching and keep asking good questions here...Lando

Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #13

now I understand a little more, I found a lot of info about reef ready tanks etc., it seems like no big deal to convert a regular tank or just use external overflows.
I was worried for a minute here

I even found some good info on building my own tank etc.
I'm still leaning towards buying a system of someone close enough to me, so I can get a good deal and pick it up.
let's see how that goes for a few weeks, if in the meantime something else comes up, who knows what's going to happen.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Getting a used tank has it's good points. Mine is used and I got a real good deal on it...had awesome luck with it...I tell my LFS that it was the best purchase I ever made every time I see her (she is friends with the prevouis owner). This one had a W/D with an overflow...for me, I have had 0 problems with it. I am switching over to a sump/refugium Monday : ) and I am using a overflow for that as well. But before I bought the tank I asked lots of questions and observed all the tank inhabitants before buying, an added insurance was that the owner of a LFS knew her personally and told me she had nothing but success in the tank...i couldn't have gotten any better of an assurance that the tank was on the up & up. If you are looking for a reef tank, it may come in the paper that a tank is reef and even comes with the exsisting corals . Here I see those deals in the paper atleast twice a month! If that is what you want, just wait until what you want becomes available.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I see that you are in Ft. Lauderdale hold on, let me check orlando's paper now, maybe worth the drive...

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 01-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
Oh, I see that you are in Ft. Lauderdale hold on, let me check orlando's paper now, maybe worth the drive...
that is funny, as soon as I saw your post I wanted to ask you the name of the paper , so I can check it out.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, here we go...65g, 20g sump, W/D also, Silver, pump, oak stand, 50-50 light & extras, $399, 90g pine stand w/d, CORAL, and extras $700. Now remember you can always talk your way down. Also my friend just called me from work and says that a guy is selling his 125g reef ready tank (don't know if it is sold yet) and his fish (that is why I am going, he has a pr of cardianls for $25 ) He also has a powder blue for 25 that my friend want. But it has other fish, if you want I can ask to see if it is sold when I get there. There is also a brand new aquarium that hasn't been used in the paper, a 65g that is predrilled custom cabinet and hood w/d, protein skimmer, coral lighting (atnic, moon and daylight, pc) and live sand for $850 or obo. PM if interested.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will ask my friend too for the paper they publish for the hospital, thats where I found my tank, it is a seperate paper with a classfied section. When I get it I can let you know if you have not already found a tank

Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
...65g, 20g sump, W/D also, Silver, pump, oak stand, 50-50 light & extras, $399, .
That's what I'm talking about. if that's the asking price he/she will most likely still go down a bid.
it's a shame that there is no paper where one can check classifieds from several counties, since I'm willing to drive some distance and have to wait for something to show up in the local paper.

it would be great if you could get me the phone number of the one who's selling this tank, so I can give them a call.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

here it is: 352-357-8875. Keep us posted, let us know how it goes, if it doesn't pan out I can still keep my eye open for ya

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com