New anemone - needs help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheReclas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI,
I have a new anemone (LTA) I have had him for about 2 weeks. He seemed just fine, I fed every couple of days opened up big and looked great. Now he has "stuff" oozing out his foot and a large bulge a well. though most of the time he is open he can get droopy. We had 2 emerald crabs for about 4 days (got them same day as anemone) but after LTA's first feeding they crowded him and took his food. they were really pestering the LTA so we took them back. I have not been able to find much on "sick" anemones except not to buy them if they seem to be leaking. It looked good no obvious rips or tears when we bought it. But I wonder if the crabs may have injured it. Can it recover? I do believe that I may have seen a hole in the stuff. Sometimes it is very puffy other times like when the LTA is open the stuff is very shrunken.
Please help, my clown loves his anemone.
Thanks
Melissa

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

This
TheReclas said:
I fed every couple of days opened up big and looked great.
=
Now he has "stuff" oozing out his foot and a large bulge a well. though most of the time he is open he can get droopy.

What goes in must come out :wink: With the lighting you have, the extra feedings are not neccessary or advised. Feeding will only lead to accelerated growth which for a 55 gal tank will mean the anemone will get too large in short time and need to be relocated/removed. The extra foods over and above the zooxanthellae and secondary feedings it will get from the fish foods can severly stress the anemones system and quickly deplete it's energy stores.

Also FWIW, I would suggest you rethink the two tangs in a 55 gal tank. Before too long you are going to have aggression issues and health problems from fish stunting.

Cheers
Steve

No more anemone

Thanks for the response but he/she didnt make it. It looked like a majority of his inards were becoming "outards" and all the fish in the tank looked awful, serious color and activity depletion. I removed the anenome and did a 10% water change. Fish are looking better, in fact they are back to their normal colors.
Although I am sorry to see the anemone go, I am glad that it didn't escalate to take all the fish.
Regarding the 2 tangs in one tank, are they fast growers? We only had damsels (mean little things) before but I really was under the impression that tangs were compatible. Hopefully they will get along for quite awhile because they are in and I know no where else to put them. They are both rather small. More studying is necessary, everyone seemed so happy too!
Does anyone have any useful info about clams? Their quirks and delicacies?
Also we would like to look into another anemone but I dont understand why this one went south. Unless the emerald crabs we "had- past tense" injured it. It was mentioned that the feeding could really stress it could this have been a result of this? :?
Anyones help is appreciated. Obviously our LFS is of not much use since they told me to feed it and sold me the crabs at the same time- the crabs really went after the anemone after I fed it.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Melissa

Re: No more anemone

Very sorry to hear about the anemone. Considering the speed in which it went, the health of the anemone may not have been that great or possibley your tank may not yet be ready for one. They are extremely delicate and their addition should not be taken lightly (not to suggest you where careless). How old is the tank?

TheReclas said:
Regarding the 2 tangs in one tank, are they fast growers? We only had damsels (mean little things) before but I really was under the impression that tangs were compatible. Hopefully they will get along for quite awhile because they are in and I know no where else to put them. They are both rather small. More studying is necessary, everyone seemed so happy too!
Many types of tangs are indeed compatible together but the longevity of your success will also depend on the tanks size. Both of these fish can grow quite rapidly in the first few years and reach sizes upwards or 3-4" each. In a 55 gal that would become cramped quite soon, especially if there are other fish as well.

Does anyone have any useful info about clams? Their quirks and delicacies?
Each type of clam will have different care needs, Which in particluar did you have in mind?

Also we would like to look into another anemone but I dont understand why this one went south. Unless the emerald crabs we "had- past tense" injured it. It was mentioned that the feeding could really stress it could this have been a result of this? :?
Feeding is indeed the demise of many newly aquired anemones. When wastes are expelled the anemone also uses a great amount of it's stored energies which leave it weak and susceptible to illness and otherwise less than perfect water specs. There are many possible causes for the downfall including collection, transport, acclimation/care at the LFS, acclimation to your system (should be slowly drip acclimated), feeding, water quality, water chemistry and more. Determining the cause is not always evident. Although 20 ppm nitrate is not always enough to kill an anemone, it is a stressful level and could be a great contributor.

I am not sure I would suspect the emeralds unless you saw some damage or suspicious behavour.

Cheers
Steve

Another anemone?

The anemone seemed so healthy but I did notice that the time following when we purchased it the remaining anemones were goners. The crabs huddled up under the anemone and I saw them trying to clip at the tentacles more than a few times.
Our tank is over 2 years old but we just recently took it over and moved it to our house (Dec). The water readings always came in in good range except a lower end PH 7.8- 8.0 in fact the last reading is the first time the nitrates read as high as 20 ppm as well as finding the slight ammonia, I wonder was the demise of the anemone a contributor? A few years ago we had several tanks but this is our first with more than just fish.
There are so many options out there it is hard to decide which way to go.
As to the clams- I have been reading that they are good filters and I think they are beautiful. The ones I am seeing typically are blue "speckled" or brown and from 3" and up and less than $50 I do not know the name so I hope this is enough info.
We most likely will not really be adding more fish except maybe something to assist in algae eating especially in sand and maybe another fish. But we would like some more color I hear that coral is a bad mix with any kind of anemone. Mostly I want to do some reading before we add anything else- but we really do want another anemone- I also hate to see anything die. Can an anemone recover from the evisceration that ours had?
Thank you and take care
Melissa

Re: Another anemone?

TheReclas said:
The anemone seemed so healthy but I did notice that the time following when we purchased it the remaining anemones were goners.
That may be a good indication they where doomed from from the get go. Unfortunately that is one of the paramount probelms with the species.

The crabs huddled up under the anemone and I saw them trying to clip at the tentacles more than a few times.
Unless the main body of the anemone was damaged this would not really be a concern. If only the tentacles where to be damaged, the anemone would easily recover water parameters depending. Animals will often seek refuge in or around an anemone for protection but there presence does not immediately imply guilt and in these circumstances requires careful observation.
Our tank is over 2 years old but we just recently took it over and moved it to our house (Dec). The water readings always came in in good range except a lower end PH 7.8- 8.0 in fact the last reading is the first time the nitrates read as high as 20 ppm as well as finding the slight ammonia, I wonder was the demise of the anemone a contributor?
Without regular testing, it will be difficult to determine if the anemone was the cause of the lower water quality without previous recent tests as a comparison. It is however possible. Given the tank was just recently moved, it is also likely it's going through a mini cycle and could be the cause. In any event, I would not suggest any further additions until that stabalizes. Higher nitrates may be tolerable by some animals but ammonia will not.

As to the clams- I have been reading that they are good filters and I think they are beautiful. The ones I am seeing typically are blue "speckled" or brown and from 3" and up and less than $50 I do not know the name so I hope this is enough info.
There are a few species that match that description. You can check <<here>> to help with your search. Some are regular filter feeders throughout their lives while others are more dependant on planktonic foods when still small. As most grow larger 2-3", they depend on the lighting for the production of zooxanthellae in which their care requires very high quality lighting like MH.

We most likely will not really be adding more fish except maybe something to assist in algae eating especially in sand and maybe another fish.
Problem algaes with the sandbed would be best solved with snails not fish. Cerith and nassarius snails would be a good addition. Most types of fish that filter the sand bed can easily deplete their food sources rapidly and even if accepting prepared foods often starve after a short time.

But we would like some more color I hear that coral is a bad mix with any kind of anemone. Mostly I want to do some reading before we add anything else- but we really do want another anemone- I also hate to see anything die.
Anemones are not what you would call a typical reef animal and are usually found in intertidal pools or just outside reef structures. They are rarely if ever found within a reef. Their addition to a reef tank must take presidence over all other future additions and the tank must be set up in their favor if you are to have any success. To be honest, you need to make a clear choice. Either have a full reef tank or have an anemone with some additional corals. Keep in mind though the presence of the anemone will mean there is a possibility of any coral being injured or killed if the anemone moves about and your only recourse will be moving the coral. The anemone cannot be safely relocated by force.

Can an anemone recover from the evisceration that ours had?
Yes but it greatly depends on the cause and possible solution if any. Many anemones that expell their gut can and do recover but only in circumstances where it is being irritated or when poor water quality is quickly corrected. If through the damage of the retractor muscle or foot, they rarely recover.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom