new anemone sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my new green Bulb tip anemone on 4 days ago. Since then he has shrunk and bloated on a regular basis, but for the most part has looked very healthy. I've been told this is normal behavior especially during the acclimation process. Today I found it with what looks like his insides coming out of his mouth. He had shriveled up but has now opened back flat. Some of the white stuff that had been pushed out has also gone back in. I've read that this is a sign of unhealthiness but i'm not sure if it might be normal after acclimation.

I know I have enough lighting. I'm running coralife aqualunars. I also drip acclimated him so I know that shouldn't have caused the problem. Water parameters are all perfect.

Thanks for any help...

Alot of times they have to move around till they find the right spot. Once he finds the spot he should be OK. Just an idea, I hope the LFS did not damage the foot

and are you seeing temperature fluctuations during the day, now that its summer?

I just lost my BTA...combination of not enough light, and 6 degree temp swings, as all other parameters were perfect.

I haven't checked but I don't think there have been any temp fluctuations. The house is kept at a very constant temperature.

I'm running 130 watts over a 20 gallon tank.

The only thing I can think of is that my calcium might be a little high. Somewhere around 500.

The anemone looks good today though.

i believe the white that you saw helps them direct food to the mouth. Ive got 3 anemones all doing fantastic in my 150gal. Could also be because i have 435 watts of PC/MH. my tank is also at a constant 80 degrees. On occasion they deflate and shrivel up and then reinflate a few hrs later or the next day, usally during feeding. My green BTA is so big its hosting 2 clows at the moment. Just do your best to keep those parameters in check and dont fall behind on water changes. Good luck.

Anemone's can be kept with consistent feedings but will excrete tons more when fed more often. Higher lighting definitely brings out the best in an anemone (visually and health wise) and allows you to feed much less often.

When I upgraded from basic 80w NO to the plethora of lighting I have now my carpet anemone went from a placid pinkish hue to a flourescent green color and is constantly spread way out. Quite beautiful and "un-sick" looking now. :)

I've also read somewhere that anemones shouldn't be feed especially if you have a clownfish.

Feeding anemone's excessively causes excessive growth. How often do you think food just "drops" into them? Not often. The larger an anemone, the greater the chance of it to accidentally consume one of your fish ;)

I've now read in multiple places that a distended mouth is a sign of deterioration and maybe death. The thing is my water is fine.

0 ammonia, nitrites, nitrates
8.4 pH
500 calcium (i know its a little high)
1.023 SG

???

Back
Top Bottom