Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy new angel help

Last week just got a juvenile impertor angel , this morning i noticed 3 cotton looking balls on one fin [ wasnt there yesterday } this isnt fungas, is it ? Looks like hes trying to get it off him. Hes trying to back up to the cleaner shrimp to help him ,but they dont want any part of him . Any help would be great.i dont have a qt at this time. Just did a 40 gal. Water change, reading are all good',[150 gal. Tank ] p.s. I have alot of white curly looking dots on glass,and rock. [clown seems to love to eat this ] louiseberry

Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The curly things are some type of pod and they are nothing to worry about. The cotton looking balls I believe are a fungus. I would consider a QT and treat the angel with pimafix or another type antifungal treatment. I treated with pimafix before and it seemed to do the job. I do know there are others out there that have other treatments. Maybe they will answer. If you need help on a QT read this.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Sounds like lymphocystis, a virus. Usually improved water quality will make it go away on it's own.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #4

i did a 40% water change yesterday, my reading have really stay the same, temp 78 ,gravity 1.025 , anioma 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 05 in a 150 gal. just dont want to spread to other fish. should i treat the whole tank ? louiseberry
Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this

Lymphocystis Disease of Fishes, by Dr. Adrian Lawler

After reading that I would agree with Larry and do some frequent PWC`s and feed nutritional food. It looks like there is really no cure. I would hold off on the pimafix since it is viral.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #6

thanks,I read the post,nothing really to do about that, I THINK ITS A FUNGAS and started a fw dip with an ick med ,maybe stress , due to a new tank. we will see, and hope everything turns out good ,dont want to lose the little guy . louiseberry
Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Stuff that looks like cotton balls sounds a lot like lymphocystis as the others have said. Its not a fungus. The freshwater dip and ich meds arn't going to do anything for it besides stress out your fish further. Just try to reduce his stress level and maybe supplement his diet with garlic soaked food for a while. The cotton balls will probably get worse but then just fall off one day. If your worryed about it spreading you can qt him but make sure you keep good water quality in the qt. Its not life threating just real ugly.

I would be careful about doing fresh water dips in the future as i've tried them and they did a big nothing. I've heard similar results from others and it puts a lot of stress on your fish. There is usually a better option.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would not FW dip the fish and not treat for ich. As mentioned earlier you need to keep the fish as stress free as possible. Those two things will stress out a fish pretty much.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com