new angel help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louiseberry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week just got a juvenile impertor angel , this morning i noticed 3 cotton looking balls on one fin [ wasnt there yesterday } this isnt fungas, is it ? Looks like hes trying to get it off him. Hes trying to back up to the cleaner shrimp to help him ,but they dont want any part of him . Any help would be great.i dont have a qt at this time. Just did a 40 gal. Water change, reading are all good',[150 gal. Tank ] p.s. I have alot of white curly looking dots on glass,and rock. [clown seems to love to eat this ] louiseberry:(

The curly things are some type of pod and they are nothing to worry about. The cotton looking balls I believe are a fungus. I would consider a QT and treat the angel with pimafix or another type antifungal treatment. I treated with pimafix before and it seemed to do the job. I do know there are others out there that have other treatments. Maybe they will answer. If you need help on a QT read this.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Sounds like lymphocystis, a virus. Usually improved water quality will make it go away on it's own.

i did a 40% water change yesterday, my reading have really stay the same, temp 78 ,gravity 1.025 , anioma 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 05 in a 150 gal. just dont want to spread to other fish. should i treat the whole tank ? louiseberry

thanks,I read the post,nothing really to do about that, I THINK ITS A FUNGAS and started a fw dip with an ick med ,maybe stress , due to a new tank. we will see, and hope everything turns out good ,dont want to lose the little guy . louiseberry

Stuff that looks like cotton balls sounds a lot like lymphocystis as the others have said. Its not a fungus. The freshwater dip and ich meds arn't going to do anything for it besides stress out your fish further. Just try to reduce his stress level and maybe supplement his diet with garlic soaked food for a while. The cotton balls will probably get worse but then just fall off one day. If your worryed about it spreading you can qt him but make sure you keep good water quality in the qt. Its not life threating just real ugly.

I would be careful about doing fresh water dips in the future as i've tried them and they did a big nothing. I've heard similar results from others and it puts a lot of stress on your fish. There is usually a better option.

I would not FW dip the fish and not treat for ich. As mentioned earlier you need to keep the fish as stress free as possible. Those two things will stress out a fish pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom