New Aquarium All fish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 55 gal aquarium. I added Cycle bacteria, and chemicals to eliminate chlorine and ammonia.

I brought home 4 damsels, and 1 foxface, which I acclimated by having placing the bag I brought them home in the tank for about 1 hour.

Within an hour after placing them in my aquarium, they all died.

Any ideas on what caused this and what my next step should be?

Hiya edison9114 and welcome.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your fish; that sucks.

*stops and thinks*

Damsels and a Foxface? These are salt water fish! Am I correct in assuming they went into an uncycled fresh water tank? If so, that pretty much would explain what happened. Saltwater fish can NOT survive in freshwater. I strongly suggest you post in the saltwater beginner forums to get some information on how to set up and start a saltwater tank properly if these are the type of fish you are interested in.

*shakes head and sighs*

note: moved to saltware getting started forum.

edison, to keep this from happening again, come up with a plan of attack for what you want your tank to be and how you think you should go about it, and share that plan with us before you do anything else.

We would be happy to help you take a second try at SW and hopefully make it a much more successful attempt and, more importantly, not kill any more fish.

To this day, i'm still boggled by those who can't figure out the difference between freshwater and saltwater. Oh well, it's only fish, right? :cry:

gfishguy56 said:
To this day, i'm still boggled by those who can't figure out the difference between freshwater and saltwater. Oh well, it's only fish, right? :cry:

It's "only fish"?? I don't know about you but I"d be pretty upset if all the hard work I put into taking care of my tank and its inhabitants were not enough and I lost one or more of them. The fish have a right to live, too. If someone is not willing to put in the time and effort of caring for them, they should leave them at the pet store.

Sarcasm...

Why do I find it ironic that your screen name is "Edison"? With all due respect, if you could not tell the difference between salt and freshwater fish, and no clue as to the care and environment required by either, you have no business in this hobby...period. I cannot even play off the "I am a newbie" for this one...... poor fish :(

Mutz,

I am pretty sure fishguy was being sarcastic in that statement...hence the upset smiley.

Thank you for getting it CrossRamZ11. It too boggles my mind how people can't decipher obvious sarcasm.
Just an FYI, I once spent 200 bucks to save a 10 dollar Lawnmower Blenny. It died two days later, but I still made the effort. I hope this clarifies my feelings toward my fish.

Re: Sarcasm...

CrossRamZ11 said:
Mutz,

I am pretty sure fishguy was being sarcastic in that statement...hence the upset smiley.

You're right. My apologies.

ok ok ... So like he made a mistake. We are entitled. I just hope he Read and Researches this hobby a little more careful now.

I am sure he feels sorry.

Lets leave this one be, no more need to rag on him any longer

And I would like to remind you all of the user agreement that you accepted when you created your account here at Aquarium Advice. This is, and will remain so, a NO FLAME forum. Constructive Criticisim is welcome and encouraged but if your post does not contain useful information or a comment of a positive nature please reconsider your post. Flames will not be tolerated.

Can noone see a bit larger problem here? Who let this person BUY THESE FISH?????????????

If you sell fish, u have the responsibility to make sure that the fish have some remote chance of survival at the cery least. I understand you can't go to the house, inspect the tank, and be sure, but shouldn't the question be asked about what kind of setup you have? That irritates me more than the fact the fish were purchased, is that they were allowed to be purchased. Most people think, and it is partially true, that a FW tank can kinda be thrown together without much research. So if a store does not inform a "newbie" that SW tanks take much more preperation and care, then I feel the blame here lies directly in the lap of the place where thhe fish wer bought!

Exactly my opinion. However, I can see where a customer comes in and says to the store employee " I want to buy this fish and that fish." Unless the customer says, " I am thinking of buying some fish to start up a new tank, what would you advise?" then I think that the store cannot be held responsible or accountable. After all they will interrogate everyone who walks in to buy livestock, they will assume you know what you are doing unless you tell them you don't. I think this is just a tragic case of ignorance in what was needed. On the positive side, Edison did seek out answers, so that is the first step in understanding and learning what went wrong and how not to repeat the mistakes made. That IMHO is the very reason for the existence of this forum. 8)

In my limited experience in SW, I've found that most of the LFS are more interested in selling fish rather finding out what is compatible or reasonable.
I've also discovered that it is my responsibility to ask questions before buying what seems to be the most interesting.

u are right

:mrgreen:
Cathyjane u are right when i started i told the pet shop i was starting a fish sw tank and i was going to also go reef. I asked them to sell me reef safe fish they did ......1 rock beauty 1 copperband :oops: great for a reef.
Thanks to some of the members at the club who taught me to READ & ASK ? i am doing better & so is my tank.
I am really glad i belong to this group.
:lol: :mrgreen:

u are right

:mrgreen:
Cathyjane u are right when i started i told the pet shop i was starting a fish sw tank and i was going to also go reef. I asked them to sell me reef safe fish they did ......1 rock beauty 1 copperband :oops: great for a reef.
Thanks to some of the members at the club who taught me to READ & ASK ? i am doing better & so is my tank.
I am really glad i belong to this group.
:lol: :mrgreen:

On LFS issue, he could have easily bought them from a large chain ( petsmart Petco etc. ) and the clerk was some kid trying to make his commission or something etc. ..

Again, he made a mistake and lets hope he does not do it again and lets hope he will continue to read AA and other sources out there.

Back
Top Bottom