new bi color angel has ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crister13 said:
You could move the inverts and rock ands hypo the tank. That way the fish don't get stressed

Wouldn't that cause a mini cycle because you're losing a lot of the BB but the bioload stays the same?

Please keep in mind if u r going to do hypo, you will need a refractrometer
, a swing arm unit isn't accuracy enough, you specific gravity is critical to be accurate.

As an update...as of two treatments and a garlic soaked brine shrimp Meal, Miami, my bi color angel, has colored up, came out of hiding and is as of right now fervently digging a new home in a cave facing the front of the tank. I also added a melafix dose which I've used on my maroon clown that had his side ripped open by my neon goby. Which worked amazingly. Also fixed my bettas tattered fins.

I haven't read all of the posts, but I didn't have a mini cycle. Ad long as you remove enough rock and sand, you should be fine. I do have a skimmer though, which helped.

Just an update....he's doing great. Nobody else has ich. I attached a pic of him colored up and ich free visiting the coral banded for a cleaning.

ForumRunner_20120417_190236.jpg

Also, for your garlic debate, it says add directly to water for parasites on the bottle. I'm using it as a food soak since its Sooo expensive

Well I don't care what any one says garlic does rid the fish of the parasite as for killing it no but ridding the fish I have used it on evey fish I ever had with Ick and always worked

bskerrichard27 said:
Well I don't care what any one says garlic does rid the fish of the parasite as for killing it no but ridding the fish I have used it on evey fish I ever had with Ick and always worked

+1 i agree, it really works

tonedogz said:
You guys are delusional

Everyone has the right to their opinion and their experience. I'm just saying I have never seen garlic get rid of ich. I do think that fish that are on garlic all the time might have a chance for awhile but eventually will fall to the parasite. If you wait till the fish has the parasite to put it on garlic it will do nothing.

The uv will slow it down alittle but it will only kill what passes through it. All of the water has to pass through it for it to be effective so it should be hooked up to your main pump not just a powerhead because then its only some of the water.

Marine Ich once in the DT is pretty much there for good, unless a fallowness of 8 weeks is followed. The use of an UV does not work well for the eradication of ich. As very little is free floating in the water column. What a uv will do though is kill other bacteria/diseases which then won't attack the fish and not weaken the immune system.

I ALSO forgot to mention I've had a UV Sterilizer on my set up since the get go. Does that change things? Freshwater ich is Sooo much simpler lol
lol, yes it is me dear, but saltwater is sooo much cooler.

There is no scientific research that garlic does anything. No stress and your fish MAY be able to live with MI in the tank. The problem is anytime something goes array with your tank and your fish become stress, you are going to have an outbreak. Also anytime you want to add a new fish, it is going to be stressed and the other his will also be stressed from the new fish. It is best to deal with it now. Living with MI in your tank already gives you fish a strike 1.
I appreciate what you're saying, but lets go with reality on this! Unless you QT EVERYTHING, inverts, chaeto, fish, etc, the likelihood that 90% of people don't have ICH in their tank is crazy! Now if ya have a FOWLR that is much more easily accomplished! But for most, we have inverts, corals etc. And unless ya QT EVERYTHING and treat every fish 100%, honestly the chances of your tank staying ich free is minimal. That being said, IT IS def possible to keep a tank ich free. But 95% of reefers aren't going to QT chaeto for 6 weeks. So we can assume that MOSt tanks, prob even yours has ICH in it! So how do we keep it from being a problem?

You should take it back and get your money back, there are no safe ick medications that do anything. Hypo or copper in a separate tank, with all the fish, leave the main tank fish less for 6-8 weeks, that is the only ways to get rid of ick. Sorry know it is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. Yes it is a lot of work to get rid of ick, thats why it is so important to quarantine all new specimens for 6 weeks to make sure that are not going to introduce anything into your main. Good luck

Holygral is correct those medications are not going to work. I suggest you follow his and my directions and your fish will live happily ever after

Actually the do work, DEF enough proof that it helps!

Also, for your garlic debate, it says add directly to water for parasites on the bottle. I'm using it as a food soak since its Sooo expensive

Use it as a food soak! Buy herbtana to add to the water!

Everyone has the right to their opinion and their experience. I'm just saying I have never seen garlic get rid of ich. I do think that fish that are on garlic all the time might have a chance for awhile but eventually will fall to the parasite. If you wait till the fish has the parasite to put it on garlic it will do nothing.

GARLIC DOES NOT GET RID OF ICH! What it does is entice the fish to eat which keeps it stronger, and I don't need a study for that, I know of VERY few reefers that tried this and it didn't work, and TONS of reefers it worked for. The same for herbtana! I'd be willing to bet that 90% of reefers have ICH in their systems! The key is too practice good behaviors, keep stress levels low, feed quality food and most fish will never know signs of it! Stress your tank, you'll get ich, overstock, ich, etc etc. ! One of the worst things ya can do to your tank when ya get ICH is to pull the infected fish! Once at that point, Ich is in your tank, PERIOD. So don't stress the fish out more!

I agree the whole 100% QT thing is the best option, but lets be honest, most of us aren't going to QT cheato for 6 weeks, so most of us are gonna have ich in our tank, so the key is knowing how to manage it when it happens! And that is easy.

I would do this as plan B. Right now, the best thing to do is keep the fish and tank as calm as possible. Any more stress will not help, and will make things worse

The best advice on the thread!

Sergie said:
wow thanks for finding this! That's what I've been saying all along!

And just wanted to say, concerning this article, that it does not disprove anything we have been saying. Nobody here said it was a cure for marine ich. Ive said it before on here.

I don't remember who suggested dosing copper to the DT, but you never want to do this. Copper is very hard to completely remove once introduced to a system and as stated before, it will kill inverts. Also, angels are not tolerant at all to copper treatment. Most angels will die if you treat with copper as well. You also have to remember that a stressed fish will most likely die of ICH. If you just leave the fish in the DT from the start and feed it to keep it fat and happy, then it will most likely survive ich with medications. Also, garlic or selcon soaked foods entice the fish to eat and there are debates out there suggesting that Garlic will improve the immune system of a fish as well.

It sounds like the OP is already seeing the angel making a come back as well though.

Oh yeah I forgot about the UV sterilizer as well. You have to make sure you have the right amount of gph going through it to kill certain things. Some people use them to help control algae growth and others to kill parasites as well. You have to make sure you have the right amount of flow, usually you want the lowest amount of flow to maximize the exposure to the UV light, to get the desired effect that you want. Also, remember that a UV sterilizer will kill pods that coincidentally end up going for a ride through it as wel.

I wondered about it killing pods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom