new bi color angel has ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do a little research on UV Sterilizer's you can find out what I am talking about with the different flow rates to kill different organisms. I can't remember right off the top of my head though.

You should take it back and get your money back, there are no safe ick medications that do anything. Hypo or copper in a separate tank, with all the fish, leave the main tank fish less for 6-8 weeks, that is the only ways to get rid of ick. Sorry know it is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. Yes it is a lot of work to get rid of ick, thats why it is so important to quarantine all new specimens for 6 weeks to make sure that are not going to introduce anything into your main. Good luck

So if i move all the fish that dont have ich into a tank will hey take ich with them to the new tank whle i wait for the other tank to get rid of the problem??? I am goin to QT the infected fish

I will guarantee you that most tanks have ich in them already. If the fish isn't dying, then leave it. You will only stress it out more trying to catch it increasing its chance of dying. soak your foods in garlic or selcon and most likely you will be alright. Most healthy fish will fight ich off. Ich isn't a death sentence after all. Also, when you go to catch a fish to place it in a QT, you are going to stress the other fish out as well, they stand an increased risk of getting ich as well.

reefer_smitty said:
I will guarantee you that most tanks have ich in them already. If the fish isn't dying, then leave it. You will only stress it out more trying to catch it increasing its chance of dying. soak your foods in garlic or selcon and most likely you will be alright. Most healthy fish will fight ich off. Ich isn't a death sentence after all. Also, when you go to catch a fish to place it in a QT, you are going to stress the other fish out as well, they stand an increased risk of getting ich as well.

Smitty hit it right on the head. +1 man. Ich isnt somthing that is gone for good

It entices them to eat,agreeing with gboy,cosmo and reefer Smitty,it does nothing to help kill ich,but keeping a fish eating and healthy are it's best chances to fight off ich.Add selcon to the soak to load the fish up with vitamins and amino acids.A fat healthy unstressed fish is much more likely to overcome ich vs. chashing one around to catch it to quarentine for treatment,only stressing it farther.I've fought ich several times using only garlic and selcon with success.

In the past,every time i've ever tried removing a fish for treatment has only led to thier death.Thankfully,ich is not something i've had to deal with in quite some time now.

QT is great for new arrivals,but once ich is in the main tank,it's kinda pointless to want to remove the fish.

Last edited:
With the right quarantine procedures no tank has to have ich.

This is absolutely correct. But, how many people do you think actually QT a fish before introducing it into their system? That is why we always see threads like these lol

reefer_smitty said:
This is absolutely correct. But, how many people do you think actually QT a fish before introducing it into their system? That is why we always see threads like these lol
They will once they learn the hard way like me.

Wow. What a thread.

Garlic won't cure Ich if only started supplementing once the Ich has appeared. It's best used when soaked in food daily for long periods of time. Also- only really concentrated levels of garlic are useful- not very watered down supplents like many companies sell.

There is NO long term comparative study that shows garlic is a definitive immune system preventative measure nor is there a long term study that shows garlic is useless. Until I see this study- I will not change my opinion on the matter. Just like uv sterilizes it's a preventative measure and there's a great debate on the usefulness of the product. So- we must also remember that every tank and every fish is different. Some fish are just better at fighting disease and parasites than others. remember that everything works differently for everyone in this trade. Instead of bickering on this thread- why not just keep it to trying to help the original poster?

Qt fish is stressful as the fish is often in a smaller tank, gets stressed from being caught, and most people don't add some sort of PVC or permanent qt rock so the fish is able to hide. Also- many people don't properly set up a qt tank.

I

well what do you suggest todo since you dont believe in the garlic?? and whats your suggestion to a proper QT tank??

and also if I move the other unaffected fish to a different atnk to let the other sit for 6 weeks will it cause the same issue??

david.h said:
well what do you suggest todo since you dont believe in the garlic?? and whats your suggestion to a proper QT tank??

I do believe in garlic for long term use.

As far as Qt- make sure the tank is cycled, properly set up with hiding spaces, oxygenation, filtration (using seeded bb), dose half the level of copper that is recommended on the bottle and hope for the best. Also- you have to monitor levels on the qt tank daily! You will need repeated water changes and ensure that the copper does not get too high or too low with the pwc. Because there is no real filtration on a qt tank this is really important.

Once a fish shows signs of Ich there is already a 60-70% chance the fish won't make it.

Some people have had success with hypo- unfortunately- there's a great chance her inverts won't survive.

david.h said:
and also if I move the other unaffected fish to a different atnk to let the other sit for 6 weeks will it cause the same issue??

6-8 weeks is the recommended time period to let a tank sit fallow to let the Ich go thru it's life cycle and die off.

But you must remember that there's a great chance that you will just be moving Ich from one tank to another. Ich won't show up on the fish until stressed in most cases. So of you move the fish without treating them you will just be spreading the love

ahhhhhh im going crazy!!!! lol Really at a loss on what to do... the lion does seem to be more interested in eating today I did take some garlic extreme last night and added one drop per 10... I dont want to lose him it just seems that things I have added of late seem to get ich except for the new clown and couple of damsels..emperor angel and lion fishgot it and dont look good I really need to get this gone from the tank... water perimeters are perfect

Back
Top Bottom