Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

This hypo copper treatment... What is it exactly? Is it medicine you buy? Or a diy treatment. If you use this treatment in the main tank, assuming you don't have hospital tank, is it safe for the other fish?

Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ick is always an issue with tangs. My LFS says the best thing for is to make sure the sick fish eats a lot. I feed my tang some sea weed and myses and in a week time it's looking better

Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy554 View Post
Ick is always an issue with tangs. My LFS says the best thing for is to make sure the sick fish eats a lot. I feed my tang some sea weed and myses and in a week time it's looking better
The issue is as long as you don't completely eradicate ich in the display tank, your fish will keep coming down with ich when stressed. It may continue to get over it with good feeding but it will continue to appear whenever the fish stress.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes but when you treat with copper you have to have a hospital tank but that will cause more stress when you move them. Best thing to do is keep them stress free because even if you get rid of it your fish can still get it so your wasting time and stressing the fish out but trying to treat it.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yes but when you treat with copper you have to have a hospital tank but that will cause more stress when you move them. Best thing to do is keep them stress free because even if you get rid of it your fish can still get it so your wasting time and stressing the fish out but trying to treat it.
I agree, copper is not the way to treat things IMO, it can be hard on the fish. However
Old 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Whoops didn't finish. I was gonna say however the tank is not stress free if the fish came down with ich in the first place.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Whoops missed the ich came from lfs part, so yeah keep feeding and fatten him up to keep him healthy. However I'd still set up the quarantine tank so you don't have to worry about this in the future.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You cannot use copper in you main tank, it will kill inverts and stay in the tank forever pretty much. The same with hyposalinity, it needs to be done in a separate tank.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I don't know where you came up with that concept but once the fish is treated and the tank is left without fish (fallow) for 4-6 weeks and the ich is killed the fish can not be reinfected because the ich is dead. Also if you don't remove the fish for treatment in a qt that fish will have little chance of survival so stress is not really a factor.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In the end, the question is- Is stressing a dying fish better than letting it sit and most likely die? And STILL having the ich in your tank? Keeping stress levels down is good but not to the detriment of the fish.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com