Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might consider Hyposalinity. That does not stress fish, but you need a refractometer to be sure it is dead-on correct.

As was mentioned...once Ich is irradiated on the fish and in the display tank, it should not come back. Stress lowers the immune system, which makes fish more susceptible to various ailments ( not just Ich). Stress does not cause it to magically appear. QT future additions and you should be fine.

I disagree with the "its a small fish, so it will be fine for a while" concept. I'm not bashing you, but from what I have seen over the years, if you put a fish in a smaller than suggested tank, it almost always has issues. Tangs are a little different and happen to have more issues. You almost never see a "My Tang in my 120g or 240g tank has Ich" thread online. I'm not coming from a "its cruel" viewpoint, simply a " I've seen it hundreds of times, so if you choose to go that route, consider yourself warned" viewpoint.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not brand new to the hobby, but I've been in the game long enough to do pretty good at keeping my fish alive with pwc, proper feeding, etc. but I haven't been challenged with sicknesses yet, nor do I desire to. Having said all that, is ich very contagious? Is it assumed if you see it on one fish, then they all have it? It is sad to admit that I'm one of those people with the 55 gal tank and wants a blue tang. I have heard of people making it work, is it all lies?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

If ich is present in a tank it is more then likely that other fish will catch it especially any new additions
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maridia View Post
It is sad to admit that I'm one of those people with the 55 gal tank and wants a blue tang. I have heard of people making it work, is it all lies?
It works until it doesn't. It is a fish that should get to about a foot long in a tank that is barely that deep. Tangs also need length to cruise around. Its just how they move in the wild and not having at least enough room to get to full speed stresses them. It won't kill it immediately, but best case scenario you have a fish that is stressed, stunted growth and that will live a significantly shorter life due to associated health issues.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

not to mention ich problems from the stress.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Message loud and clear. Thank you for the replies
Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was told to think of ich as a cold. Not everyone will catch your cold. Both of my LFS says to feed them and mix in garlic or selcon to boost their immune system, so far that tang is eating very well and so are all the other fish and the tang still the only fish with ich. To clear things up I bought the tang from my LFS and that night I noticed it and I am doing what both LFS told me to do.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think that there is any scientific proof that garlic boosts the immune system. It encourages eating, which keeps fish healthier.

Ich can certainly be in a tank and fish can not get it and/or survive when they get it. My concern is always that it stays in the system unless irradicated, which means new additions can come down with it, as they will likely be stressed and more susceptible to it. It is not an immediate death sentence, as some people think, but it can very easily wipe out a tank too. Good healthy fish that have proper nutrition and that live in pristine water can be okay with it.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read these. They will answer your questions and provide you with some treatment options.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com