Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #1
cj10488

New Blue tang with Ich

Ok my wife got a blue tang yesterday and we placed it in the QT lastnight.. I noticed today that It has Ich.. Go Figure.. She seems to be scratching quite a bit and breathing is getting heavier.. I have already started treatment for the Ich but am curious if I should FW dip in order to help the poor lil fishy out.. I am thinking that If I did a FW dip for a few mins or less it would help the fish out and save her from scratching and breathing so heavy.. What are your thoughts FW dip or rid the Meds out??

James
Old 11-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Tierhog
I have had great success with blue and yellow tangs. On occasion I have had to resort to freshwater dips of TWO minutes. I read your post, and based on your involvement with this site I will spare you of Tang "ethics".
If you havent considered it, look into placing cleaner shrimp in your tank for when your fish clear QT. The insurance will be well worth it. After your dip (I hope, I hope, your not to late) consider feeding your new buddie some fresh veggies. Culerpa is quite the treat and legal if you live outside California. Good Luck, I'm rootin for ya!

Old 11-22-2003, 03:06 AM   #3
steve-s

Re: New Blue tang with Ich

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10488
What are your thoughts FW dip or rid the Meds out??
What meds and how are the other water parameters? NH3, NO2, NO3 & ph?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-22-2003, 04:01 AM   #4
cj10488

The meds are Stop Parasite which has worked for me in the past.. As for the parameters the QT test at 8.0 for pH and 0 for all the rest except nitrate which tests at 5.. Should I do a FW dip and if so How long??? I will not acclimate one of my cleaners into the QT tank.. That is not an option for me... The Blue tang seems to be eating pretty good but it does clearly have a few visible white spots near the gils.. The medication has worked for me in the past and you are supposed to treat for 5 days.. Tomorrow will be day 2..

Thanks Again,
James
Old 11-22-2003, 04:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do a freshwater dip for about 2 to 2.5 minutes. Watch the tang for signs of severe stress during the dip. Keep the lights off to prevent any further stress.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
cj10488

Does anyone else have thoughts on this.. I am now on day 3 and The Tang still seems to be doing ok.. Seems as though the white spots are going away.. Do Blue Tangs normally sleep on their sides?? That seems odd to me... My thought is Since She seems to be doing ok I should avoid the FW dip and continue treatment correct...

James
Old 11-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10488
My thought is Since She seems to be doing ok I should avoid the FW dip and continue treatment correct...
Agreed. If the Stop Prasite is working, leave the tang be and complete the treatment as directed.

As far as the tang's sleeping behavour, it should be fine as long as it's daytime activities are normal. I have seen regals do some pretty strange things and it would not suprise me. Are there places for the tang to hide itself properly? They do not really like to sleep out in the open.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-23-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
cj10488

There is a Ceramic like cylinder/cup thing that is in there.. She seems to try and get under it and sleep on her side... I cant really think of anything else that I can put in there... The Scooter Blenny that is in the same QT likes to jump up on top of that and Launch himself thru the Air.. Quite funny.. Is there anything else household item that I might be able to put in there to help out???

TIA,
James
Old 11-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #9
steve-s

An unpainted opeque plastic drinking cups may work if it's wedged somewhere. Just about anything plastic that can be placed on it's side and will not roll around should be fine. Just be sure it is sterile and will not leach something into the water.

I like using the cheap plastic plant pots and just cutting a "through" hole on each side for the animals to enter and placing it open side down in the tank. Just be sure it has never been used as it may have absorbed some fertilizer to some extent.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-23-2003, 08:57 PM   #10
cj10488

After watching her for a while it seems as though she is still breathing quite heavily and Scratching quite a bit... The spots seem to be disappearing but she is still scratching alot..

James

Tags
blue tang, ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com