New Blue tang with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok my wife got a blue tang yesterday and we placed it in the QT lastnight.. I noticed today that It has Ich.. Go Figure.. She seems to be scratching quite a bit and breathing is getting heavier.. I have already started treatment for the Ich but am curious if I should FW dip in order to help the poor lil fishy out.. I am thinking that If I did a FW dip for a few mins or less it would help the fish out and save her from scratching and breathing so heavy.. What are your thoughts FW dip or rid the Meds out??

James

I have had great success with blue and yellow tangs. On occasion I have had to resort to freshwater dips of TWO minutes. I read your post, and based on your involvement with this site I will spare you of Tang "ethics".
If you havent considered it, look into placing cleaner shrimp in your tank for when your fish clear QT. The insurance will be well worth it. After your dip (I hope, I hope, your not to late) consider feeding your new buddie some fresh veggies. Culerpa is quite the treat and legal if you live outside California. Good Luck, I'm rootin for ya!
:D

cj10488 said:
What are your thoughts FW dip or rid the Meds out??
What meds and how are the other water parameters? NH3, NO2, NO3 & ph?

Cheers
Steve

The meds are Stop Parasite which has worked for me in the past.. As for the parameters the QT test at 8.0 for pH and 0 for all the rest except nitrate which tests at 5.. Should I do a FW dip and if so How long??? I will not acclimate one of my cleaners into the QT tank.. That is not an option for me... The Blue tang seems to be eating pretty good but it does clearly have a few visible white spots near the gils.. The medication has worked for me in the past and you are supposed to treat for 5 days.. Tomorrow will be day 2..

Thanks Again,
James

Do a freshwater dip for about 2 to 2.5 minutes. Watch the tang for signs of severe stress during the dip. Keep the lights off to prevent any further stress.

Good luck.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this.. I am now on day 3 and The Tang still seems to be doing ok.. Seems as though the white spots are going away.. Do Blue Tangs normally sleep on their sides?? That seems odd to me... My thought is Since She seems to be doing ok I should avoid the FW dip and continue treatment correct...

James

cj10488 said:
My thought is Since She seems to be doing ok I should avoid the FW dip and continue treatment correct...
Agreed. If the Stop Prasite is working, leave the tang be and complete the treatment as directed.

As far as the tang's sleeping behavour, it should be fine as long as it's daytime activities are normal. I have seen regals do some pretty strange things and it would not suprise me. Are there places for the tang to hide itself properly? They do not really like to sleep out in the open.

Cheers
Steve

There is a Ceramic like cylinder/cup thing that is in there.. She seems to try and get under it and sleep on her side... I cant really think of anything else that I can put in there... The Scooter Blenny that is in the same QT likes to jump up on top of that and Launch himself thru the Air.. Quite funny.. Is there anything else household item that I might be able to put in there to help out???

TIA,
James

An unpainted opeque plastic drinking cups may work if it's wedged somewhere. Just about anything plastic that can be placed on it's side and will not roll around should be fine. Just be sure it is sterile and will not leach something into the water.

I like using the cheap plastic plant pots and just cutting a "through" hole on each side for the animals to enter and placing it open side down in the tank. Just be sure it has never been used as it may have absorbed some fertilizer to some extent.

Cheers
Steve

After watching her for a while it seems as though she is still breathing quite heavily and Scratching quite a bit... The spots seem to be disappearing but she is still scratching alot..

James

The heavy breathing is not always a bad sign with regals. They are quite excitable and just about anything gets them "pumped up". Be sure there is plenty of surface aggitation and check the ph/ammonia to be safe. Any sign of secondary infection, the eye's are clear?

C. irritans will embed itself into the fish and can be uncomfortable to say the least. The regal will continue to "scratch" until all the trophonts are gone. As long as the "spots" are not coming back in new locations and the existing ones are disappearing, I would continue as you are. If the spots keep re-appearing, then the treatment is not working.

Cheers
Steve

Ok thats is Exactly what I wanted to Hear.. For water movement I have an Aquaclear 30-60 that came with my 55gal tank.. I think its plenty of water movement for a {EDIT}10gal tank.. pH is 8.0 and Ammonia Is still 0 so I am safe there.. I have been monitoring quite excessively to make sure.. How long should it take for her to stop scratching.. Temp is at 80f Should I bump it up a bit more??? Thank God for QT tanks and this Website.. lol BTW the Eyes seem great.. Everything looks great with her except the Ich... And well since i couldnt tell if scooter had any spots on him prior to the tang due to natural look I guess they are now both getting treated for Parasites for extra precautions..;) My wife is very protective of her "Dory" and often wakes me up.. "Is Dory Ok?" lol

Thanks Again,
James

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would leave the temp be though.

My wife is very protective of her "Dory" and often wakes me up.. "Is Dory Ok?"
Looks like the family is bonding (y)

Cheers
Steve

Ok kool Thx alot Steve

Kudos for the assistance...

James

Back
Top Bottom