new carpet anenome. Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just heard from alot of the admins here that anemones should get almost all of their food photosinthetically. If you feed them they will grow very fast (or so ive heard). I honestly wouldnt know becuase i havent had an anemone. I gues nothing beats firsthand expirience! :D

IMO, MH lights would be the best. PC lights just doesn't have the intensity for the carpet.

I understand the postion you are in with the anenome. However, MH is about the only thing that will save this animal. Be very careful that the animal does not die in your tank. When an anenome dies it can release toxins into the tank and wipe out everything. The best thing you can do is find a good LFS that has MH lighting and give it to them. You do not want this to die in your tank. Good luck and keep us posted...Lando

I can see that he could be a great addition at the right time (with the right lighting) I will try to get him to a lfs. The ones near me will not take him. I tried that first but to no avail.

I had previously decided to get a Aqualight lunar 4x96w. I have ordered it but I can still change to something else. I do not know much about mh. I understand the lighting but not the set up. Can anyone help with the components needed or a good place to find a ready to go mh lighting system? I have an 80 gallon 48x15x24. I think I will need two 250w?

Yes you will need two 250w MH for a 4ft tank. Our very own Darin could hook you up at captivereefs.com. You can get it to where all you do is set it on the tank and plug it up. Your looking at $500 - $750 range. 8O

You might can get by with 2 175w MH. But I would go for the 250w. :wink:

I don't really think it's worth doing at this point. You still have a very new tank and there's no guarantee the anemone will survive even with sufficient lighting.

But if you don't mind the expense and want to get the MH anyway, then you will definitely be able to handle just about anything you wanted to keep in the future, including SPS and Clams.

Back
Top Bottom