new carpet anenome. Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bushman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a new carpet anenome. My first anenome. I dont think he is doing too well. He has a little less color and just looks poor. I have fed him a few bitd of brine shrimp, to which he took and closed around it. I have tested my water as well as a lfs. It is great. I use additives by Kent as normal.

Can anyone help with how to best care for him? He has been in my tank for only 5 days. Am I asking too much? Does he need more time to acclimate?

Thanks for the help

What is the info on your tank?

Size?
Lighting?
How Old Is It?
Other Tank Mates?

Sorry for all the questions. It could be a number of things, and we have to narrow it down. :wink:

Tank is 80 gallon reef. I have 2x96w quad pin coralife's. He is about 16-18" from the lights.

His tankmates: 1 blue/green chromis, 2 percula clowns, 1 yellow mimic, a few mushrooms, frogspawn, crabs and snails. Thats about it.

Tank is relatively new. It is only 6-8 weeks old.

how do you measure an anenome? His base foot is about a half dollar in size. He's not that big.

way to early to add such a sensative anenome if i was you i would take him back if you can, plus carpets have very demanding lighting needs, pc's may not provide enough

Ya sorry but true. It is a bit early for that type of anemone. Maybe you can take it back and get credit for it.

Return not possible. He came from a friends tank that broke and leaked. Water everywhere!! I know its about 6 months too early for him but had no choice. Had to put him in this tank.

Any suggestions?

It's bleaching because you probably have less than half of it's light requirements.

Possibly a solution. I have a coralife 4x96 lunar light balast comming in a few days. Just ordered it. Would that be sufficient? Should I build a higher base for him so he is closer to the lights? Anything else I can do?

I really do not want to lose him. I feel horrible when I lose anybody. They are my pets. He is new, but just as important.

I don't think it will be enough still.. but it's worth a shot.

However, once your tank has matured some you will be fine to keep something like a BTA with that lighting.

I am getting the light regardless so I guess I will give it a try. Anything else I can do? What about correct conditions for him. How much water movement? Obviously all the light I can muster. How often should I hand feed him food? Any best food for him?
Sorry for all the questions but this kinda got thrown at me. I had no time to research his needs.

Do you think I have a chance with him if I get the new light in time?

The water should be very stable. It will move itself to wherever it feels best in terms of flow and light. Usually i dont think it is a good idea to feed anemones, but in your case with the lighting you have, you might want to feed it some. I have never kept an anemone so i wouldnt know how frequent to feed. But i do believe that people feed them silversides. Honestly i just dont think that light will be enough for a carpet, they are one of the more difficult anemones. But i guees its worth a try. I hope everthything works out! :)

IME i have bibblr tip i feed it at least 2 times a week if not as much as three or four times a week. if conditions are stable and theyre well feed it will promp them to feed. I wouldn't use brine though, try silver sides, fish, shrimp (large store bought),

Slick y u think feeding is bad?

Well, I gotta sleep now. If anyone else has any ideas please post them and I will check in the morning.

Thank you for all the help.

If you have other inhabitants in your tank you feed I wouldn't be too concerned about direct feeding. But, considering your lighting issue, I would direct feed the anemone, at most, once a week. If it doesn't like the water flow etc., it will move itself. Allow it to move freely, don't interfere unless you must. Sorry to say but don't feel too bad if you lose it. A tank as young as yours is detrimental to an anemone's health even if your water seems stable. Also, regarding the Kent additive, never add anything you don't test for and know what the proper numbers of each element should be. You would be much better off just performing regular water changes of 20-25% to replenish any depleted minerals, etc. Always research BEFORE adding new additions. Good luck.

Whoa there MT79. Read the posts. I DO research before buying. I was simply trying to save a doomed anenome from a living room floor when a friend's tank busted and drained eveywhere.

Back
Top Bottom