Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2007, 03:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy88
is there anything that you would recommend me to do rather than just keeping an eye on the ammonia levels and do water changes?

I am actually kinda upset about how the LFS didn't educate me about all these, wasted 6 weeks of my time and didn't get things the right way. Worst of all, I do not like to put fishes into a tank that I am not 100% confident about, which in this case i trusted the store and the fishes are suffering.
Unfortunately, many LFSs are not in the business to educate. They should be, but don't. If your fish dies, they sell you more.

If once you test your water and if it does have ammonia and nitrites in it, you could take the fish back to the LFS and cycle your tank. That's another option. Other than that, you're pretty much stuck doing daily water changes trying to keep the ammonia in check while your tank cycles. You can add a couple bags of Purigen (a Seachem product) in your filters to try and keep the ammonia/nitrite levels down - that definitely would help things. I've used Purigen when I overloaded my quarantine tank once and ended up with a mini-cycle and along with daily 20-50% water changes (with properly aged water at the same temp as your main tank) it kept things down to bearable levels.

Again... get a test kit and check your levels. Maybe (hopefully) I'm all wrong on this, but I have a gut feeling that if your levels are fine now, they won't be in a couple weeks. I really do hope I'm wrong. Perhaps others will chime in...
I am going to start with frequent water change for now, will run to the store for the test kit tmr.

Having that said, you do not suggest me try another type of food right? I am just under the impression that as long as the fish eat, at least they will survive (of course with acceptable quality of water), but as you mentioned before, food shouldn't be the main issue here.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Having that said, you do not suggest me try another type of food right? I am just under the impression that as long as the fish eat, at least they will survive (of course with acceptable quality of water), but as you mentioned before, food shouldn't be the main issue here.
I would try something other than brine shrimp. I've heard some compare fish eating brine shrimp to humans eating popcorn - it's tasty, but you can't really stay healthy eating it all the time. Frozen Mysis Shrimp would be a better choice, in my opinion. That, alternating with maybe some of Ocean Nutrition "Formula One" pellet food (the small pellets) would probably be good. Those were the first two foods my clown ate. And as noted earlier, if you soak the frozen in a couple drops of one of the garlic preparations, such as GarlicGuard or GarlicExtreme, it could stimulate their feeding response. Just don't over do it though - too much garlic seems to confuse them at times and make them shy away from the food.

You are correct though - as long as the fish is eating, it's not going to die of starvation. But without a good balanced diet - just like us - it's going to be susceptible to disease and have a weaker immune system.

Another thing you could do is get a couple really good books and start reading up. A good "intro" type book is Michael Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium". It give a great overview of the basics and I though was really easy to read. After that, pick up Bob Fenner's book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". It's more in depth, not as easy of a read, but has volumes of good information.

When you do water changes, make sure the water is at the same temperature, salinity, and pH as your main tank. It takes a day or so for the freshly made saltwater to "settle down" and have a stable pH and salinity. It's best to make up a batch of saltwater, stick a heater and powerhead in it to keep it aereated and at the proper temp, and let it sit for a day. You can do this in a 5-gallon bucket, a big new/clean Rubbermaid toter, or even a new/clean garbage can.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I would try something other than brine shrimp. I've heard some compare fish eating brine shrimp to humans eating popcorn - it's tasty, but you can't really stay healthy eating it all the time.
I compare it to a plate full of twinkies at supper every day LOL. The key though when it comes to feeding is Variety. I feed mine mine Vitamin fortified brine, mysis, flake, and other frozen foods like emerald entree. Variety is the key.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #14

Tried mixing with garlic, no luck.

from my LFS, they told me they might be trying to pair up, is there any truth to that?

I also got a test kit from them.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

from my LFS, they told me they might be trying to pair up, is there any truth to that?
Could be... but I don't have any experience with pairs. Maybe someone will address this.

Quote:
... and your ammonia/nitrite levels are... ?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Quote:

Could be... but I don't have any experience with pairs. Maybe someone will address this.

Quote:
... and your ammonia/nitrite levels are... ?
Hi,

PH is around 8.0 - 8.2
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is ~15
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

ur level looks good... but i think you should be done trying to learn things from LFS... also I think that you ned more bacterias in your tank so you might want to add more LR soon and if money is the problem, look up on craigslist around your area and there's usually people just trying to get rid of theirs so u can get it for dirt cheap there.. HTH and good luck with your fishies
Old 07-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3epanda
ur level looks good... but i think you should be done trying to learn things from LFS... also I think that you ned more bacterias in your tank so you might want to add more LR soon and if money is the problem, look up on craigslist around your area and there's usually people just trying to get rid of theirs so u can get it for dirt cheap there.. HTH and good luck with your fishies
Hi,

Money is not an issue, I will definitely add more LR to the tank soon.

In terms of the clown, the store offered an exchange, however I said I wanted to try some dry flakes first. Guess what? It works! The clown gone crazy for the flakes and he's active again. I am going to try it again today and make sure it wasn't a "one time" thing.

Keep everyone posted! Thanks for all the help so far!

Chris
Old 07-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #19
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Glad to hear that it worked. As I mentioned earlier you just have to try variety. In the future make sure you dont buy fish unless you see it eat first. This is always my practice so I dont get a fish that wont eat.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to see that it's not an ammonia/nitrite issue keeping it from eating! After a day or two of flake, try frozen mysis again. I bet it'll eventually go after it.

I'd still keep an eye on your ammonia levels. The fact that you have nitrates of 15ppm pretty much means you cycled (assuming you're putting in 0ppm nitrate fresh water), but I'm just not understanding how you did it.

Tags
clown, clownfish, eat, eating, moving, not eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com