new coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eva1313

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i bought some new coral from fragfest and its not opening. I bought other coral at the same time from a friend thats doing fine. They are Zoas. What can i do?

Perimeters look good. Salinity is at 1.027

ForumRunner_20140610_183021.jpg

My Mg is at 1480
Ca 490
My KH is low at 2.5/7.0 could that be it?
Phosphates are at a .02

Last edited by a moderator:
But did you acclimate them to the new lights? Coral under t5ho could be under much lower light conditions when then moved under some of our higher powered LEDs that penetrate water much more effectively than bulbed units. What kind of lighting are we talking about? It could even be a flow issue...have you tried moving it? How long has it been in the tank?

They are actually within inches of already open frags. I dont know whats wrong. The only thing i can agree with is the lighting. ....

ForumRunner_20140610_194222.jpg
The green are closed pink are open. (The only reason my candycane looks bad is because my saddle back puffer keeps eating it and im to attached to get rid of him. My baby brother bought him for my bday lol)

Zoas can all be a little different in terms of what makes them happy. Tha being said sometimes it takes a while for the coral to acclimate to a new system. Try a new spot and give it a few days. Just out of curiosity are you an api kit for phosphates?

Is that a 1 polyp frag? If so it could just be extremely stressed. Give it a couple days in a spot and stop moving it. That will just stress it more

I use api for my ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph but also double check it with tetra easy test strips because i heard they are not the best. Once i run out ill use red sea like i use for my kh ca and mg. Phosphates are seachem

Yes its a one polyp frag i just got at fragfest. Im sure you know they can be quite expensive per polyp.

Oh I know :D! I try not to buy 1 polyp frags as they're kinda a pain and sometimes melt away. Sometimes though you just gotta have that certain zoa morph :)

Back
Top Bottom