New coral bleached

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
On Saturday I bought this montipora coral and it was doing great until last night. Last night I noticed it was loosing color where it crust on the frag plug. Today the coral was white as a ghost! Did I stress him out when gluing the frag onto live rock?

My salinity is around 1.024, for lighting I use Zoomed Coral Sun and its a 20 gallon

As in the t8 zoomed coral sun? If so that's nowhere near enough light for a monti

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

what are your parameters other than salinity? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, how did you cycle?

Doesnt sound like enough light which in turn would kill the monti. Research will save you ALOT of money.

still not enough light, period.

can you post a photo? maybe parameters as well? how long has the tank been running. Also sunlight getting to a tank will more then likely cause algae blooms.

Okay I'm not sure about my water parameters so I'll have to get back to you on that. Meanwhile the tank has been running for two years.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423498103.396082.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423498126.191353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you should invest in quality test kits as high nitrates can kill fish and kill coral or inverts even sooner. Red sea makes great kits. nitrate, phosphate, ammonia being most important IMO

Yeah t8s aren't gonna cut it for sps like montipora. I'd look at getting a good alk kit too, salifert is my go to there.

Yeah t8s aren't gonna cut it for sps like montipora. I'd look at getting a good alk kit too, salifert is my go to there.

If I change my light would the coral perk up?

good lighting and excellent water quality maybe. but more than likely it's to far gone

Do you have a picture of the coral?

This picture is with the ZooMed Coral Sun
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423506378.984196.jpg
This picture is with one of my backup but brighter lights
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423506416.030286.jpg

Yeah unfortunately it is pretty dead. Do you have other corals in the tank?

In the first picture of the coral I have the Darker coral Sun then in the second picture i changed it too a lighter light

you should run actinic and white together but it's still not enough light

Back
Top Bottom