Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still not eating. I had tried nori yesterday but it also paid it no attention. I did see it take a small blood worm today but it spit it back out.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Ive recently had troubles with my gobies also.. But mine are the golden head sleeper gobies.. I had two mated pairs in both tanks and both died really quickly.. All i have left now is one male in my 75gal.. these guys thrived for 6months +.. very unusal.. The trick is to getting them eating the normal stuff, but I had troubles and tended to overfeed a little so it hit the sand bed for the guys to sift through..

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #13
steve-s

Except for their natural habits, grazing from the rock, new ways of feeding must be "learned". They will not automatically feed on most items until they become accustom to the fact that they are food. It can take some persistance.

If you have a feeding clip, try placing a few thin strips in it and then attaching the clip to the bottom pane of the glass. Hopefully the algae will float upwards a bit a sway in the current. It might stimulate a natural reaction to the algae being in a less unnatural state. Just keep at it and replace the algae frequently if uneaten to prevent fouling the tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had bought two different tangs at two different times from the same lfs and had an extremely hard time with no luck gettting them to feed on nori. With the third tang after taking the other two back, i put this tang in a small breder tank alone and only fed nori. I kept nori in the tank 24/7 and after two weeks he absolutely went crazy for this everytime he saw me with the clip. Now i know this is total a different fish but is their anyway you can put him in a qt with some good alage growth and or without alage and teach him to eat other foods??? Just a suggestion though since i see your probably running out of time with this little guy.

Steve-s Do they only feed on a certain alage type?
i use to have this fish for 3 months and then sudden death? i started that tank with tap so i have alot of different colors and or types of alage, and my jester pick at the alage all day cleanining it just as much as my snails.???

Breden i wish you luck maybe it will turn around !!!

I'm starting think this fish along with the madarin should'nt be at the lfs ??
Old 11-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame82
Steve-s Do they only feed on a certain alage type?
i use to have this fish for 3 months and then sudden death? i started that tank with tap so i have alot of different colors and or types of alage, and my jester pick at the alage all day cleanining it just as much as my snails.???
Not completely sure, I have never kept one. From my understanding though, they have a very strong preference for red algaes but will graze on a failry wide variety. Generally speaking, many fish species can be hard to acclimate in terms of diet simpley because their natural food sources are not "free floating" as in the case of grazing animals. Feeding behavour in a captive environment must be learned over time. It really depends on the specific species, researching and knowing it's natural food types and the creativity in the hobbyists ability to adapt to those needs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had a number of different Gobies in the past and the Rainsford (Court Jester) was the only one that I had trouble with. They seem to be very specific feeders. I too could never seem to find anything that he would eat. He did like to sift the sand often-- suck it up and then spit it out. Apparently, he couldn't find anything worthwhile in there because he eventually died. I wouldn't get another one again.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Court Jester or Rainford's goby is not an easy keeper despite what is sometimes read about it. These animals need copious amounts of hair algae and other high algal forms in order to survive in captivity. They often times starve because as you are expierencing they will not eat.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah according to live aquaria it is easy to keep. If I could put it in my main I think it would be ok.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah thats the only reason i ever get a fish anymore. I usually do a so called background check to see how succesful i think the fish will be in my tank before i buy and did not read anything of the sort of a " hard to keep" fish. My jesture was plump all the time and you could visibly see where he had cleaned alage of glass and rock, but still diead after 3 months. So i'm not sure what happend since i seen him eating alage and sifting all the time but after two attempts there has to be something else my tank lacks.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flame: did both of your gobies die quick? I am sitting here debating on wether to put him in my main.....Well sort of. If he has something I will never catch my fish to treat them. Plus I do not have enough tanks to treat them in. I just made up my mind he is staying in QT. I may put a piece of rock from my main in QT to see if he will graze on it. Think it is worth trying?

Tags
eat, eating, goby, not eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com