Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New Fish Looks Sick

I purchased a purple tang at my LFS yesterday and it looks sick. It has been in my tank for little over 24 hours and is exhibiting little white speckles all over its body. I originally thought there was sand stuck to the fish. After closer examination it definitely looks parasitic. All of my other fish have been in the tank 8+ months and seem very healthy. My water quality tests out great. I can't make it back to that particular LFS this weekend, what are my options? I do not want to risk infecting my other fish.

Thanks,

Van

Old 03-20-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Get it out into a QT tank now. Hopefully it did not infect the other fish. If you don't have a Qt tanks perhaps your lfs can treat for you.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Uh oh, a bad case of Ick sorry man
Old 03-20-2004, 01:48 AM   #4

You'll really need to get him out of the tank ASAP and hope none of the parasites are in your tank now, Other wise you may have a bigger problem..Did you quarantine the fish first? Actually guess that doesn't matter now..I'd put it into a quarantine immediately and do a Hypo Salinity on it.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I called both of my LFS. One said Blue Tangs are know for Ick and I should flush the fish. The other LFS said I could buy some "reef safe" chemical that will cure the fish and prevent infection. Anyone have further advice on this subject. Unfortunately I have had such a great success with my tank I converted my hospital tank to a freshwater tank. Do I flush or build a new hospital tank? Neither LFS wants the fish back, even for free!

Van
Old 03-20-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
One said Blue Tangs are know for Ick and I should flush the fish.
I really hope that wasn't their exact words...this CAN be treated.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Blue tangs are to dang expensive to just be flushing them down the toilet. I never flush anything unless it isn't alive anymore. Whover said that at your lfs needs to be smacked upside the head. Just my opinion. I would QT him and treat him. Don't use anything that says reef safe. I have yet to find a "Reef Safe" Treatment for ich. Just qt him and treat from there.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndfrb
Blue tangs are to dang expensive to just be flushing them down the toilet. I never flush anything unless it isn't alive anymore. Whover said that at your lfs needs to be smacked upside the head. Just my opinion. I would QT him and treat him. Don't use anything that says reef safe. I have yet to find a "Reef Safe" Treatment for ich. Just qt him and treat from there.
agree 100 percent first in line to smack him in the head
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to phantomsk8er5
I dont think its even possible to have reef safe ich treatment.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did not agree with my LFS regarding the flush treatment, so I went out a purchased a QT tank.

Blue tang is safely in QT tank and I am treating him with copper. I put a new bulb in my UV sterilizer and I have my fingers crossed that there are no additional parasites in my main tank.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Tags
ick, new fish, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com