Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2004, 11:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes, you would have to treat in a separate tank. Meds and hyposalinity will kill everything on your live rock. (reefsafe meds are no good). Also if you have a parasitic outbreak, you would need to leave the main fallow of fish for 4-6 weeks to allow the parasite to go through its life cycle and die off ( no fish hosts). If you don't do this, any other fish added will catch it. The best measure is to qt all new fish for 3-4 weeks before placing in you main.
I learned this the hard way and lost 3 fish to a velvet outbreak.
Maybe you will be lucky and its just stress related.
I have my fingers crossed.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

i dont think its stress related...hes doing really bad now, i think hes probably dying-WHAT THE $%^& IS WRONG WITH MY TANK? this is the second fish that has died in there (with about 5 months between them) everythng ive been testing for checks out good...ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-5 salinity-1.026 (lowered it last night) and temp-about 79....what the heck am i forgetting?? the clownfish came down from teh surface and was swimming around last night, seemed to be doing better...then this morning he is laying on the bottom breathing really heavy, and covered in white spots, and his white stripes have brown on them. There was nothing i could do this morning so i went to school, just got home and checked him, and hes still layng on the bottom...still alive, but barely....what am i doing wrong

Old 03-29-2004, 06:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
[quote="ImLookinForNemo"]ithe clownfish came down from teh surface and was swimming around last night, seemed to be doing better...then this morning he is laying on the bottom breathing really heavy, and covered in white spots, and his white stripes have brown on them.

Sound like it may be velvet. The parasite goes through a life cycle. The fish may get better for a short time, but it comes back and hits even harder.
Need to get him out asap and into a qt tank to treat with copper ( I use cupramine) if its not too late. Need to do this today. Also get a copper test kit appropriate for the type of copper your using. You lfs should have this

"There was nothing i could do this morning so i went to school, just got home and checked him, and hes still layng on the bottom...still alive, but barely....what am i doing wrong"

In the future, the best way to avoid this is to qt (in a bare bottom tank) all new arrivals for 4 week to see if anything develops. Easier to treat and you won't infect you main tank.
Let us know if you have any question.
Good luck.

Tags
ick, new fish, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com