Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New Fish Sick?

I got a percula clown today and he seems to be swimming kind of funny....not really straight, but kind of tilted to one side or the other...also he is hanging out near the top of the tank and not looking really great-i added him today, so he has only been in the tank about 2 hours now...do you think he just needs time to adjust? Everything in the tank checks out perfect, and he's the only fish in there.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
He needs time. An unsure "wag" near the top sounds about right. Turn the lights for a day to reduce stress.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Mine like to hang near the top of the tank, especially at night. In fact the sleep there sometimes.
They do swim kinda funny, wagging side to side. It may be normal. Cute little guys, aren't they.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's the second day now, he's been in there since about 7:00 last night and still he swims RIGHT at the surface...and he looks like he's struggling too, bobbing around all funny (but the water movement is stronger at the surface b/c of the kind of filter I use so that might be why) also he seems pale and covered in little white spots, possibly ich but im not sure yet...could there be something wrong with my water?

ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-5
ph-8.2
salinity-1.028

my tank has already cylced...is there somethin else i should be testing for that i've ignored that could be makin him sick or does he still need time? it seems like by now he would have adjusted...help!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
That salinity is very high. Higher salinity is supposed to be more stressful on fish, but that's just hearsay. Anyone think that is too high, or is it just me? I keep my tank at 1.021-1.022 (but I have mostly fish and not too many corals).

Also, I have a saddleback clownfish, and he sort of bobs up and down when he gets excited when swimming. Usually, when my wife walks in the room in the mornings when she wakes up, if he notices her, he'll go from sleeping on a rock to "bouncing" up and down in place. Not sure if this is what you're describing, but if it is, it's no problem.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep my sg about .024, this is on the high side, but I have a red sea angel who likes it higher as well as my inverts. You should lower it to at least .025, 0.23-0.24 would be better. This could very well be stressing him. What do you use to measure? Swing arms are know to be way off. Your sg could even be higher than what you think is is.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmm well i do have a swing arm...but how should i lower it? just do a water change and add water with a lower salinity? is that the only thing i should change? ....i mean, am i testing for everything that needs to be tested?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

also what should i use to meausre? and is it possible for the clown to look sort of bad jsut because of stress or is that a seperate problem?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are other tests, but these are the basic and most important with fish . Everything else looks good. I would just do small changes with fresh water (RO water if you have it) and lower it that way. You could lower it tonight to .026 without a problem it think and further lower it tomorrow. You may also want to get a good floating hydrometer, these are a little more accurate.
I really think that may be the problem. You may also have a parasitic problem developing. Do you have a qt tank?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

no but i could probably get one set up fairly quickly...this clown is the only fish in the tank though, so i'm not worried about a parasite problem spreading...theres nothing for it to spread to! i do have live rock in the main tank though, does that mean that IF he has a parasite problem I can't treat it directly in the tank?

Tags
ick, new fish, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com