New foxface with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremy arsement

Aquarium Advice Regular
Think my new foxface might have ich. Is this a death sentence? He swims around fine. Eats a ton. Seems healthy, but has the white spots.

Sorry to hear that.. I don't know much on the subject as I've been so lucky as to never have gotten ich in any of my tanks, but I can try to help you as best I can.. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in as well.. But for now, could you answer a few questions for us? Like how big is your tank and what are the parameters at?

Ich can be treated and many fish survive. You want to treat with either copper or Hyposalinity (not both) in a QT. Leave your DT fallow for 6-8 weeks and you end up with everything Ich-free. Doing anything short of this leaves the possibility for future outbreaks.

Well I've had a successful fowlr for years. Have had a light bio load for the past several months. In there now is a pair of maroon clowns, a bird wrasse, and a peppermint shrimp. Just added the foxface, who acts healthy and eats, but has a few spots. The DT is 120 gal with a ten gallon sump underneath stuffed with some macro algae. I've never used a QT, been lucky I guess.

I've had several tanks over the course of 30 years and most of the time I have not had problems with not using QT prior to adding new fish. The key word is "most"...lose $700+ in fish over the course of four days and suddenly QT seems like a low cost insurance policy. :). I'm getting a used 240g this weekend and no fish is going in without being QT'd first. Ich is light compared to something like Velvet.

Back
Top Bottom