New frogspawn coral releasing brown slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have had this coral for 2 days now and 2 heads are opening up nicely but no where near full length and these other 2 heads are pretty closed up releasing this brown slime, their in a 45 gallon tank (tall) and their under dual t5 on a HO ballast solar max. their a little lower then middle of the tank do you think i should move them higher or leave them for awhile and see what happens they might still be adjusting? also i know this isnt part of the thread just a curious question my new mystery wrasse i have had for 5 days and she has this part on her body that kind of looks like an abrasion and it may be healing? it looks milky white do you think that could be a disease she has been eating very little each time i feed the tank. Sorry for the 2 in 1 long post guys!

sounds like those heads could have brown jelly disease. if they are covered with it, and not just a little brown stuff coming out of the mouth, i would break them off of the main coral and get them out of the tank, taking care not to shake any off.
the best we know is that it's a bacterial infection that is quite vicious.

i don't know about the fish. look here-
Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

ok i took that head off now one more question if you dont mind helping me out i have a 45 gallon tall tank its like 22 inches deep, and my lighting is a solar max dual t5 HO so i know the frogspawn requires medium to high lighting i have my frogspawn at the top of my tank do you think it will be ok their under my lights?

i do have a hammer coral in the spot where i would like to put the frogspawn but its below medium way in the tank and i know my hammer coral loves the flow their and i assume the light is sufficent because it is thriving in that spot but i am cautious to move my frogspawn their because i dont think it will get enough light what do you think i should do

i would get another 2 bulb fixture.
btw, euphyllia are not high light corals in my experience. that said, i don't think i would be comfortable with 2 lamps over a 22 inch deep tank.

cant fit another one and idk why then cause all the corals in my tank are growing and thriving just fine but what do you think i should do with my frogspawn then move it down?

what do you mean they are growing and thriving? wasn't this thread started because you are losing one?
the suggestion to upgrade lighting was so you can place your corals wherever you want, just not on the very top of the rock.

i would break them off of the main coral and get them out of the tank, taking care not to shake any off.
the best we know is that it's a bacterial infection that is quite vicious.

I totally agree.

Ok and that's fine but I don't have money to upgrade my lights and all my other corals are thriving because they are in proper places for the flow and amount of light that they enjoy but I was having problems with placing my frog spawn because the information I read says they enjoy high lighting so I wanted to know if it would be happy that close to my light at the top of the tank

And I'm not losing the coral its still open and extended I just know it could be happier and.opend a lot bigger it is a week and a half old coral sorry if their were misunderstandings

if it's got brown jelly on a couple heads they are failing. it's not uncommon to lose the whole colony if so.
as far as being happy in that position- i don't know. you'll have to wait and see, but in my experience, frogspawns aren't high light corals.

Back
Top Bottom