Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

new hippo tang

just added a little blue hippo tang, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. i put him in yesterday. He keeps rubbing up against the sides of my live rock. almost like he is irritated or something. he is very active and seems to be eating. seems happy and not stressed. I know they are very prone to getting ich, i am worried he has it and it is going to ruin my tank. i have 2 cleaner shrimp and they seem not interested in the tang.
Am i just being over worried for nothing or is there something i can do to prevent.
THank you! oh yea i have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates amd 0 nitrites

Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switzer
just added a little blue hippo tang, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. i put him in yesterday. He keeps rubbing up against the sides of my live rock. almost like he is irritated or something. he is very active and seems to be eating. seems happy and not stressed. I know they are very prone to getting ich, i am worried he has it and it is going to ruin my tank. i have 2 cleaner shrimp and they seem not interested in the tang.
Am i just being over worried for nothing or is there something i can do to prevent.
THank you! oh yea i have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates amd 0 nitrites
What size tank, may i ask? Your tank has to be huge to house one. Also, maybe try raising the temp a little bit, and doing a water change. Those two things are almost always helpful

Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, that is what one of my fish did before he died and the tank got infected with ich.

They do like to wedge themselves into/under rocks though, and lay to their side.

Just keep an eye out on him, good luck!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

temp is at 76F. and is a water change necessary even if all my readings are spot on?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switzer
temp is at 76F. and is a water change necessary even if all my readings are spot on?
I would still do it..i mean, what else can you do? And ya, i it is ich, raising the temp will help
Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tang was doing that and my lfs said to raise the temp to around 86 degree. I did and he hasn't done it since, so I would try to just raise the temp.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Raising the temp has no affect on saltwater ich except to speed up the reproduction process. Raising temp is a freshwater tactic for fighting ich.
Anyway, 76 is too cool for a saltwater tank. It should be 78-80. Since you obviously didn't QT the fish before adding in to your tank, the best thing to do at this point is watch it and if you see ich on the fish set up a qt tank and treat the fish with either copper or hypo.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
Raising the temp has no affect on saltwater ich except to speed up the reproduction process. Raising temp is a freshwater tactic for fighting ich.
Anyway, 76 is too cool for a saltwater tank. It should be 78-80. Since you obviously didn't QT the fish before adding in to your tank, the best thing to do at this point is watch it and if you see ich on the fish set up a qt tank and treat the fish with either copper or hypo.
Didnt know about the sw ich portion, nice!
And if you did see ich on the tang, might as well leave him in, and treat the whole tank. Provided that their are other fish in there as well
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Didnt know about the sw ich portion, nice!
And if you did see ich on the tang, might as well leave him in, and treat the whole tank. Provided that their are other fish in there as well
1. It is a completely different parasite than FW ich.

2. You cannot treat the main tank with copper in a SW tank because it will nuke most anything on your live rock and any invertebrates, including coral. Not sure how inverts would respond to hypo, but my guess is not well.

I know that you're trying to help here, but please do a little research before recommending a treatment.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So you would have to take out each fish, and treat them in a QT? Are there no ich supplements that wouldnt use copper?

Tags
hippo, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com