new hippo tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Switzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just added a little blue hippo tang, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. i put him in yesterday. He keeps rubbing up against the sides of my live rock. almost like he is irritated or something. he is very active and seems to be eating. seems happy and not stressed. I know they are very prone to getting ich, i am worried he has it and it is going to ruin my tank. i have 2 cleaner shrimp and they seem not interested in the tang.
Am i just being over worried for nothing or is there something i can do to prevent.
THank you! oh yea i have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates amd 0 nitrites

Switzer said:
just added a little blue hippo tang, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. i put him in yesterday. He keeps rubbing up against the sides of my live rock. almost like he is irritated or something. he is very active and seems to be eating. seems happy and not stressed. I know they are very prone to getting ich, i am worried he has it and it is going to ruin my tank. i have 2 cleaner shrimp and they seem not interested in the tang.
Am i just being over worried for nothing or is there something i can do to prevent.
THank you! oh yea i have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates amd 0 nitrites

What size tank, may i ask? Your tank has to be huge to house one. Also, maybe try raising the temp a little bit, and doing a water change. Those two things are almost always helpful

Unfortunately, that is what one of my fish did before he died and the tank got infected with ich. :(

They do like to wedge themselves into/under rocks though, and lay to their side.

Just keep an eye out on him, good luck! ;-)

temp is at 76F. and is a water change necessary even if all my readings are spot on?

Switzer said:
temp is at 76F. and is a water change necessary even if all my readings are spot on?

I would still do it..i mean, what else can you do? And ya, i it is ich, raising the temp will help

My tang was doing that and my lfs said to raise the temp to around 86 degree. I did and he hasn't done it since, so I would try to just raise the temp.

Raising the temp has no affect on saltwater ich except to speed up the reproduction process. Raising temp is a freshwater tactic for fighting ich.
Anyway, 76 is too cool for a saltwater tank. It should be 78-80. Since you obviously didn't QT the fish before adding in to your tank, the best thing to do at this point is watch it and if you see ich on the fish set up a qt tank and treat the fish with either copper or hypo.

ccCapt said:
Raising the temp has no affect on saltwater ich except to speed up the reproduction process. Raising temp is a freshwater tactic for fighting ich.
Anyway, 76 is too cool for a saltwater tank. It should be 78-80. Since you obviously didn't QT the fish before adding in to your tank, the best thing to do at this point is watch it and if you see ich on the fish set up a qt tank and treat the fish with either copper or hypo.

Didnt know about the sw ich portion, nice!
And if you did see ich on the tang, might as well leave him in, and treat the whole tank. Provided that their are other fish in there as well

Didnt know about the sw ich portion, nice!
And if you did see ich on the tang, might as well leave him in, and treat the whole tank. Provided that their are other fish in there as well

1. It is a completely different parasite than FW ich.

2. You cannot treat the main tank with copper in a SW tank because it will nuke most anything on your live rock and any invertebrates, including coral. Not sure how inverts would respond to hypo, but my guess is not well.

I know that you're trying to help here, but please do a little research before recommending a treatment.

So you would have to take out each fish, and treat them in a QT? Are there no ich supplements that wouldnt use copper?

Sounds like the tang brought the ich in. We had the exact same thing with our blue tang, we took it back but it was too late for 2 of our fish, didn't have a QT set up at the time and I had to do something to try and save our remaining clown and Koran angel, we got a UV steriliser and man it totally worked! It's the only thing I can suggest other then getting a QT set up ASAP and cycle it quickly!!

Back
Top Bottom