Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New lights, star polypos not coming out, what to do??

I upgraded from No lights to 2 96 watt PC's. Before the lights my star polyps were looking really good, but now they are not even coming out anymore. I am wondering if this is the normal adjustment to the new lights. It has been about a week since my lights have been on there.

Also there is a pink glob growing on my rock which I think might be sponge but I am not sure. It is grown right up next to the star polyps. The thing is pink with a sort of tubish thing that sways in the current. I have 2 of these globs in my tank that I have seen. Could this be why my polyps are not coming out also?? Is this stuff sponge? I can get a pic if you like but I don't think it will turn out very well.

Please Help!

Josh

Old 12-31-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How did you acclimate the tank/corals to the new light? Have you tried moving them to a lower/semi-shaded portion of the tank? That's quite a bump in light intensity -- when you first got the PC's, did you start at a lessened photoperiod and slowly increase it from there? Make sure they get good current/water movement -- star polyps always retract when any kind of detritus settles on them. You might want to try gently blowing them off with a turkey baster.

Not sure about the "blob". Could be a sponge, or possibly a tunicate (sea squirt). Any pic might be helpful.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only had them on for 3 hours the first day. The polyps are fastened to a rock that I cannot really move any lower that is pretty close to the top of my tank. The lights are up 2 4 hours a day now. I bump them up every 3 days a 1/2 hour. I also blew off the polyp with a turkey baster. Do you think that they will come out eventually? Will the new light kill them because of the change? All of my other corals are doing well, I have a leather and a small Kenya tree. I just don't know what is wrong with the polyps. It is starting to bother me now that it has been a week. Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens.

TIA,
Josh
Old 12-31-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do not favor the shortened photoperiod technique. Regardless of the hours, the corals are still blasted with an amount of light that they are not accustomed to. My GSP's were always sentive to light changes, i think you should give them more time before panicking. As long as you don't see the tissue of the mat receding or rotting I think they will come back out in due time.

In the future, I would acclimate a coral by either putting them in a low area of the tank and gradually moving them up or by using screening to filter the brightness of the light. Layers can then be removed to allow more light in.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks

Tags
light, lights, polyp, star, star polyp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com