New lionfish.... Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a new voliton lionfish today. I'm dripping him right now. I was looking at him in the bucket and on one side of the base of his tail (the meaty part) it looks like he had a someone cut him and mame him with something. The scales around the area are risen. All of the rest of his body is perfect. Also, he has a mucus coming out of his fins. Is this venom? Should I put him in TE tank so he doesn't breath it in?

Really I don't think you have to cuz I don't think it is in the water around him plus he is most Likely he is amuoned to it but I have no experience with venomous fish just a good Idea I thought

Adding a few drops of stress coat to the bucket can help. Your main problem is fighting off infection. If you can quarantine then that is your best bet. He might not get along so well if hes stressed, If you can quarantine i suggest some melafix to help him heal.

Yah you should Quarantine to to get rid of all of the parasites and monitor his behavior to see how he is dealing with the stress

Schism said:
Adding a few drops of stress coat to the bucket can help. Your main problem is fighting off infection. If you can quarantine then that is your best bet. He might not get along so well if hes stressed, If you can quarantine i suggest some melafix to help him heal.

+1 on the melafix

Ok... I don't have any melafix and he's in the tank because I don't have a quarantine..... So do you think soaking his food in vatamins and possibly garlic would help?????

Here's pic. Just some cuts right? From a different angle it looks like a gash, not just raised scales. And would the vitamins/garlic help?

Attachments

• image-2957932177.jpg
    image-2957932177.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 167
It would make him more healthy but I would not get rid of any stress the fish mite have and ps I highly recommend you get a quarantine tank

It has now changed to this. The back scales have healed but in the front try fell of an there is a big idk what. What can I do!?!?

Attachments

• image-1136474736.jpg
    image-1136474736.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 127
I dont know I notices it after he was in the bucket dripping. In the store that part was against a rock so I couldn't see.

Ummmm this is what it look like now. I started treating with melafix today. What the heck is this?????

Attachments

• image-1974804866.jpg
    image-1974804866.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 107
Sorry about this that could have been a very serious parasite i have treated a similar one before, although it wasnt a lion fish i treated. But since hes passed away treatment isnt inportant but u do need to ensure if u ever want to use this same tank again it needs to be properly cleaned and disinfected. The parasites could still be there if you dont, also dont use any of the same decor that cant be disinfected as these could also carry the same parasite and simply wipe out your new species in the tank.

For those interested, my bet was a raging bacterial infection and for such extreme cases all I've ever seen to work is Nitrofurazone at 4.0mg/L with long-term disability afterwards. In such cases it seems some strains are only prone to specific fish so it could complicate future lionfish additions if you didn't completely gut the tank and start from scratch....not fun.

Back
Top Bottom