New LR and coraline is dying? (See Pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

Got some new LR from the LFS and it is fiji that is covered in purple coraline. It was cured so I put it in my tank and the ammonia has not even been registering, so I feel like it was fully cured.

But now all the coraline is going to white and flaking off. It's also coming off in chunks (looks like something is scraping it off). Is it dying? Are my lights too much for it at first?

Any advice would be great, since I don't know why it's doing this.

My stats:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15ppm
PH just fine
Phosphates <.25 (kinda high?)
SG 024
temp 79-81

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• lr2.jpg
    lr2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 66
  • lr1_166.jpg
    lr1_166.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 57
  • lr3.jpg
    lr3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 86
I dose with natureef liquid arogonite and corraline was/is growing like mad everywhere. I am tring pickling lime now though to see if that does the same. Calcuim levels are really important for coralline, as is mag from what I understand. Do you test your ca? I noticed you didn't have it listed on your post. If not, I would start testing and find out if you are deficient. There are others here with more advice than I, all I can tell you is what has worked for me. Also, what kind of lighting are you using?

I have started dosing Magnesium Sulfate... ie Epsom Salt :) this helps corralline growth, I never found out how much to add, so I just started slowly, now algae growth is just booming!

What are your Ca and Alk numbers? IME, when you get new LR, b/c most people don't acclimate it to their tank and it is usually not transported in SW, it is quite common for the rock to get worse before it gets better. Assuming CA/Alk is in line and regular partial water changes are done you may just need to give it some time.

I'm doing 15gal waterchanges every week and a half. I also do NOT have a test kit for calcium, and my LFS does not have a test kit. I guess I'll have to get a test kit online.

When I got the LR from the LFS, it had all sorts of little plants on it and other stuff. Since I only live 5 minutes from the LFS (and my tank was already a year old), the LFS guy said to just "stick it in the tank" since I didn't need to acclimate the LR by curing it. Since I live 5 mins away, he said there shouldn't be any die-off. So why has it all died off now?

Coralline will flake off occassionally and is not a big concern with newly added rock. There will often be some die off from light differences and chemistry. Flaking in an established system is more commonly from poor/imbalanced chemisrty. Wouldn't hurt to get those checked and if off should be easily corrected. The coralline will come back, don't worry about that for now.

As far as the Mg additions, be very careful what you add and how you do it. Too much is just as harmful as too little. Epsom is also not a good choice for large correction, only minor issues. Use magnesium chloride or safer still, water changes. Above all, never add anything to your tank without testing for it first. It's just begging for more problems.

Cheers
Steve

I'm doing 15gal waterchanges every week and a half
Wow! If you are using Instant Ocean salt, remember everytime you do a water change your adding calcium deficient water. IO salt is LOW in Ca and HIGH in Alk. You want them balanced.

I didn't need to acclimate the LR by curing it
I mean acclimate like you would a fish/coral, for ex. drip acclimation. I would say your best bet now would be to get Ca AND Alk tests(they are directly related). Even if you have no stony corals it's a good idea to keep up on CA/Alk levels.

Wow! If you are using Instant Ocean salt, remember everytime you do a water change your adding calcium deficient water. IO salt is LOW in Ca and HIGH in Alk. You want them balanced.

I'm only using Kent, because I heard it's the best to use.

I'm only using Kent, because I heard it's the best to use.
There have been thousands of pages written on the internet debating the eternal "what salt mix is best" question. (I use IO salt, so I speak from experience when I say it is low in Ca) If kent has been working then it is the "best"- for you :wink: I've never read anything bad about Kent such as low Ca or Alk etc. Get those test kits to be certain. As I said, everything will benefit from having your Ca/Alk right/balanced.

Back
Top Bottom