New Maroon Clown Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycpassat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

First time posting but have used the search function for months. I need some help and hoping you guys can provide some insight.

I recently purchased a small Yellow Stripe Maroon Clown from etropicals.com a few days ago for my 2 month old 75 gal tank. It's been almost 4 days since he arrived and still has not eaten and just lethargically floats at the top corner of a tank as if it's gasping for air. FYI, all of my water parameters are doing well and temperature is ~80 degrees. I performed the drip acclimation to all my inverts and fishes. I have a few hermit crabs and snails in the tank, a serpent star, and a damsel that are doing very well.

Since its arrival, the Maroon has been sluggish and unwilling to eat. There are currently NO visible markings (ich, white slime, etc) with the exception of a cut top fin when it arrived. I was also able to "pet" the maroon which led me to believe that this may be a bad sign. What do you think is the problem? Is this normal for a clown? What should I do? :(

Thanks in advance
Willie

If you have a cycled QT tank, the best suggestion is place the clown there. Often lowering the salinity a decent amount (upto 14-16 ppt) will alleiviate stress and allow the fish to regain osmotic balance. It has been proven to help rekindle the feeding response. That is if your sure there is no evidence of parasite activity. You cannot do this with inverts in the tank.

Do you know the salinity of the transport water and can you post the actual numbers for your parameters just to be safe.

Try a few good sized water changes with well aged/aerated SW. Add a few drops of garlic extract with foods to help stimulate a feeding response and keep the lights off if you have no corals and such that need them.

What have you been trying to feed thus far?

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

I startd the QT tank cycle last night and according to the Seachem Marine test kit, my current readings are:

S/G Transport water: 1.023
S/G: 1.025
Ph: 8.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2 mg/l
Ammonia: 0
Alk: 2.5

I've only been trying to feed the clown tiny pieces of cooked shrimp and tiny pellets of Spectrum Thera+A non-medicated anti-parasitic formula. Since I recently just started, I haven't much a variety yet.

One day will not be the best situation in terms of a cycle for your QT. The readings you are seeing are most likely a residual of whatever was transfered or possibley a biostarter.

The food choices are not very good for a new fish. Foods like this need to be "learned" by the fish and generally take time. I would also not suggest cooked foods at all. Try finding foods that float freely in the water column, mysis, frozen meaty prefabs help or live foods like brine fortified before use. The fish will more easily recognize these a food items and help stimulate a feeding response of sorts. Try that first and see what results.

Keep the QT going just incase it's needed though.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I basically used a few gallons of tank water into the QT tank. Is this okay to do or should I have mixed new SW instead? I also tooky your advice and purchased frozen mysis shrimp and a pack of Formula Two from a LFS.

As of right now, the clown seems a little more responsive but still not eating. I'll cut a small slice of frozen mysis shrimp squares and see if he responds.

Thanks Steve

nycpassat said:
Steve,

I basically used a few gallons of tank water into the QT tank. Is this okay to do or should I have mixed new SW instead?
It's fine to use exhisting tank water from the main. If you ever need to transfer a fish in an emergency, it will actually be the best way. Unfortunately, the bacteria needed to keep the nitrogens in check will be in such minimal number they will do nothing to help. Transfering hard surface materials are the best way to "seed" a new tank, basically transfer the bacteria. This should consist of inert, non sorbant materials. Plastics, filter floss and the like. No sand, rock or carbon/resins.

I also tooky your advice and purchased frozen mysis shrimp and a pack of Formula Two from a LFS.

As of right now, the clown seems a little more responsive but still not eating. I'll cut a small slice of frozen mysis shrimp squares and see if he responds.
When you thaw the food before feeding, add a drop or two to the food and let it soak for about 15-20 min. Garlic is a strong atractant and can often stimulate a feeding response. Don't use much as little goes along way where food alone won't. Too much and you will confuse rather than entice. If that fails, try live brine or similar.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom