New Powder Blue Tang with Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimmers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Finally I broke down and ordered a powder blue tang from saltwaterfish.com. I've always wanted one but was didnt want to take a chance on loosing it. They cost alot!!! When I recieved it, it looked GREAT, no spots, colors looked good, everything. About 4 days later I noticed spots on it...ICH! But nothing else in my tank had it. Do you think that it had it already when I got him since he had spots 4 days later? Well 2 days after that (yesterday) he died! My other fish still look great. Is there a possibility that they will now get it? Please help! Kimmers :(

Your older fish have probobly built up a limited tolerance to Ich, so if they don't show signs now and don't get stressed out, they should be fine. However, I am not saying they won't. Just watch them. Did u treat the Tang at all? Ich, especially on a Tang, does not generally just go away. So, I would just keep my eyes peeled, and hope for the best.

:hat:

But nothing else in my tank had it. Do you think that it had it already when I got him since he had spots 4 days later?

Yes, it can take upto a week for ick to become visible on a fish after infection.

Is there a possibility that they will now get it?

Yes, there is a good chance your other fish will get ick, this is why I recommend quarantining all new fish.

whats the difference between ick and ich ..

Also, do you think this Tang got Ich/ick just from the stress of being shipped etc etc etc..

Plus I read somewhere ( was last week, do not have source any more sorry) that certain types of shrimp will eat the ick/ich off of fish.. But I guess that is up to the fist to let them or not any truth to that ?

sorry do not want to Hi-jack thread-

You should quarantine every new fish you get for atleast a few weeks, to ensure any possible diseases they might bring do not get in your show tank. Hell even your First fish should be in a quarantine tank. This way you can check for diseases and treat if needed.

whats the difference between ick and ich ..

a K and an H, same thing just a different spelling

Also, do you think this Tang got Ich/ick just from the stress of being shipped etc etc etc..

It is possible, there are many things that might make it visible, but ick is an external parasite, it has to be present in the water to infect the fih. Therfore there was ick somewhere, either in the dealers tank or yours.

Plus I read somewhere ( was last week, do not have source any more sorry) that certain types of shrimp will eat the ick/ich off of fish.. But I guess that is up to the fist to let them or not any truth to that ?

Yes there are cleaner shrimp that will eat the parsites off the fish (this is pretty inefficient as a treatment though).

Back
Top Bottom