Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New problem in midst of treatment

Well here's the issue. I had/have ich in my 250 gallon SW tank. I started hyposalinity and got the SG down to 1.009 about 3.5 weeks ago. It has drifted between 1.009 and 1.011 during this time span. Just checked it and it is 1.010. Now my hippo tang who started the whole ich problem when I introduced him to the tank about 5 weeks ago has developed 4 to 5 large raised white bumps. All other fish seem to have recovered from the ich. These white bumps look different than the ich I had previously. He seems to be behaving normally. No scratching, eating normally, not hiding. What could this be that has developed while at the lower salinity?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It probably could still be the ick as hypo needs to be about 6-8 weeks. You are doing hypo in a QT right and not in the main right?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Still ich? All of the visible ich that I had initally had disappeared on all the other fish and it has only reappeared on this one fish. I thought that maybe because my SG slid up above 1.010 that it returned. And yes a QT, not the main. That is what everything I've read says. But they never explain why not the main?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you did hypo in the main all your inverts would not make it. That includes your CUC and all life in your LR. As far as the ich you have to remember that the parasite falls off the fish to the substrate and over 200 tomites come from that one parasite and the life cycle goes on eventually overtaking your tank. The parasite has to have a host so if you remove the fish from your main and leave it fishless for 8 weeks then you`ll break the life cycle of the parasite and shouls be parasite free untill you add it back into the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Can you get a pic. It could be ich that has burrowed under the scales or another possibly infection.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've tried getting a picture of the spots, but the blue tang is moving too fast to get a decent picture. They are all blurry. They have all been in hypo now for 8 weeks and I am still seeing these whiteish bumps that look like they are slightly under the skin of my blue tang. I have also noticed some white cottony spots on one of my percula clowns who is also in hypo. I'm afraid to leave them any longer in hypo because of the possibility of kidney damage. And whatever it is, the hypo obviously has no effect on it. The spots don't seem to be affecting them. They all eat great and don't scratch on objects. Otherwise appear healthy.

The other thing is that my yellow tang (also in treatment) has retreated to the side of the tank, has stopped eating, and all of his fins are frayed at the ends. I don't see any signs of spots on him though. He is getting very thin now.

Any suggestions?

Tags
eat, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com